Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys WRT54G2

• Please log in to reply

mskiby

mskiby

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Here is one for the group. I have had this issue before. We have a web page that we cannot access. It is my wife's business page so it is on quite a bit. Her e-mail also goes thru there. The routher simpley stops talking to that page. I spent hours on tech support with Linksys last year and was not able to correct. We purchased a new router and all was good for almost a year. Last night, bam no access to the wife's page. I have reset all the settings, tried to clear all logs (which are not on) and even upgraded the firmware. Linksys told me that it was just out of warranty and they wanted me to pay for tech support for the same issue I had last year. Anyway, anyone got an idea on that one? All I get from my other tech guys is a head scratch? I sure hate to have to purchase one of there every year, but at least they are cheap. I am thinking about trying Netgear this time.

Edited by mskiby, 30 December 2009 - 10:06 AM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Have you tried it from another computer with a different ISP? I ran into this once with a page that wouldn't load for me, but a friend of mine with a different ISP was able to load the web page. As it was explained to me by my ISP, there was a corrupted DNS table entry in one of their servers resulting in it not resolving the correct address.

Can you post the site and one of us can give it a try for you?

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 30 December 2009 - 10:26 AM.

mskiby

mskiby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes I can open the page from work just fine. Also if I remove the routher and plug directly into the cable modem it opens fine. That is why I am concentrating on the router for a solution. Again, last year I replace the Linksys and it all just started working fine. I have not taken the routher to a different ISP. The web page is www.minihusky.com

Thanks for the help.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You may want to look at this page in the setup of your router:

Posted Image

Closer to the bottom of the page you will see Static DNS 1, Static DNS 2 and Static DNS 3. If they are all zeros or are blank then your Linksys wrt54g2 router is acting as the DNS server for your network. You may want to try populating these with some other DNS servers. I myself have used the OpenDNS servers and Also Googles DNS servers.

The Open DNS server addresses are: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Googles DNS Server addresses are: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Good Explanation of DNS from Google.

Hope this helps,

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Also if I remove the routher and plug directly into the cable modem it opens fine. That is why I am concentrating on the router for a solution.

That's odd. I looked around and it appears as though the WRT54G does not support DNS caching, so we can't flush it there. If it was a problem with the DNS cache on the PC, it shouldn't work when you were connected to the modem either. You could always try flushing the DNS cache on the PC, but I doubt it would work. Run this command from inside a command prompt window.

ipconfig /flushdns

There is a space between the "g" in ipconfig and the "/"

Can you ping the website in a command prompt window using the host name? How about a ping using the IP address? It looks like the address is 67.201.57.229.

mskiby

mskiby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am at the office right now, but will give these a try when I get home. Thanks for the help. I will let you know.

mskiby

mskiby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry guys none of this worked only adding to my frustration. Tried all the suggestions. On the ping test it jut times out 5 times. fails the traceroute also. Again directly into the cable modem and no issues.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Do you have any other settings ( port forwarding, DMZ, etc. ) setup in your router other than the DNS server settings I had you change?

mskiby

mskiby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nothing. All factory default settings.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on and steady...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

Advertisements

mskiby

mskiby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry, no joy on any of these, Ripping the Linksys out and replacing right now. For 60.00 this is nuts. Hope that works. Again, I simply cannot get to www.minihusky.com thru the Linksys WRT54G2 router. Either wireless or wired. I can plug directly into the cable modem and it works perfectly. This is one for the ages,

mskiby

mskiby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Now I have a real problem. The info that happyrock gave me has rendered my XP machine unbootable. Any thought on how to restore, or was that some sick joke? Thanks

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The two commands you were given by happyrock are not detrimental to your computer. They reset your TCP/IP and your Winsock in Windows XP. These are used by the computer to talk to other computers ( i.e. the internet ).

Can you tell us what your computer does now? i.e random reboot on startup, BSOD, hang etc.

mskiby

mskiby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I know. Frustration got the best of me. The PC has had hanging issues for a while, but has always booted. It often took several tries, but it always went thru. So after I installed the Netgear router, which solved the issue completely with the access issue, the PC would not boot correctly. It appeared to be working, but hung on each program and would not complet any tasks. Including Task Manager. I had to wipe and start over. Late night, but all seems to be going well. Luckily I have a MAC, can't believe I just said that, that was working so I could complete the router set up.

Thanks for all the help to the group, but we will have to consider the Linksys issue unsolved. I believe that it may have something to do with the web page host and the router DNS issues.

Thanks again to all and have Happy New Year. I'll be having an extra few tonight.

Martin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know...