Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best way to clean unnecessary info from PC?

• Please log in to reply

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I did run Tree Size and found those movie files. I moved them to the other drive and freed up 20+ GB of space...that will help a LOT, I think... Great tool - thank you! I am running the Auslogics Defrag again, and it's taking a while. I will repost when it finishes... There are still a lot of Programs that I just don't recognize. I'll post a couple screen shots of the Tree Size results.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Found some movies huh :)

I am glad it found something. That is great news.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Here are the screen prints from the Tree Size run and the latest Defrag. First Defrag file is the status as it finished, and the second is an analysis afterward.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tree_Size.png
  • Defrag3.png
  • Defrag4.png

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Tree size shows some interesting info.

1st, you have an 80gb drive. Free space 36.6gb of 69.8gb. Add to that about 5gb on the recovery gives you about an 80 gb drive.

You are also showing 22,577.9mb (22gb) in the windows system folder.
Good golly? What is in there?
Can you expand that out and see what it shows? I only have 8.7gb in my windows folder and I do not recall the last time that I reformatted.
It is up to date on all updates (excluding IE 8 and SP3).

The defrag looks to be working. I think the 2nd shot is the anali=ysis and then the 1st is after defrag.
Can you run defrag to try and get that down and looking better.

How does it seem to be running?

Rshaffer...What do you think on the windows folder? 22gb?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Worth a look to just make sure.
I would be interested in the time frame between 2nd pic and 4rd pic.
It looks like bloatware to me but I'm not a malware tech. something is moving files around alot and\or causing fragmentation very quickly.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Lets see what the op comes back with. That is a huge windows folder.
We might want to send him to malware to be checked.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) Op has 2 active malware topics right now on the same issue. Neither has a response. Both started 12\30\09

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The fragmented files could have been created when the HD was full and fragmented. If they are video files, which cannot be defragmented, you get the red picture that you see.

Regarding the extra-size of Windows folder: It could be that data was stored, erronously, in one of windows inner folders (non-hidden, non-system). The OP should search in the folders to see what is going on. I would also suggest that he run Windows installer cleaner.

Edited by The Skeptic, 10 January 2010 - 12:48 PM.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Sorry guys, I was called out of town unexpectedly, so I haven't had access to the PC for a while. I should be back at this on Tuesday night...
1) I will send another screen shot of the Tree Size with the Windows folders expanded. Yes, they are huge, and I don't know why. Windows updates stopped working recently...have not been able to load SP3.
2) I will run Defrag a couple of more times to see if the results improve.
3) There is no time between the 2nd and 3rd screenshots...the 2nd is just the result of the Defrag and the 3rd is just an Analysis after the actual Defrag.
4) I HAVE run through much (if not all) of the Spyware & Malware Cleaning Guide on this site. I will finish and report back on the status. Thus far it has come back clean.
5) I have two other topics open on Geeks2Go...but they were issues with another machine, so they don't apply here.
6) I would be interested to run Windows Installer Cleaner if you think I should...I'll wait for your instruction on that.

Thanks for the help!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
jdor...We all know where are priorities are. Take care of business.

1. You are going to have to take a look in that folder and see if you recognize anything. IWe suspect that there is data in there by mistake.
2. Also switch over to the defrag that comes with windows for 1 defrag. I have had to alternate a few times to get defrag close to complete. Some fragmented files is ok.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
just a possibility but was this topic HERE closed for any reason?
There were no replies and if there is still a active infection we may be spinning our wheels here.
what do you think 123Runner?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Rshaffer61

He has 3 topics in virus and malware. 2 of them are closed.

Closed topic. There was nothing done here. http://www.geekstogo...No-t263398.html
Open topic. There was nothing done here. It should be closed. http://www.geekstogo...op-t263399.html
Closed topic. This is where Rorschach112 helped him. http://www.geekstogo...xl-t260128.html

jdohr did have some malware/virus that got cleaned out and since topic was closed by Rorschach112 he should be clean.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :)

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
1) Here are three screen shots of the huge Windows files from Tree Size. Let me know what you think.
2) The Malware topic that Rorschach112 helped me with was on another machine...a laptop from one of my kids. Nothing to do with this post.
3) Thanks for deleting those other posts...I could not figure out how to delete a post...if you can let me know for future reference, that would be great.
4) I have not run the Defrag again yet - I will get that done soon.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows_Files1.jpg
  • Windows_Files2.jpg
  • Windows_Files3.jpg

Edited by jdohr, 15 January 2010 - 12:36 AM.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Here is a screenshot of the latest Defrag analysis (from the Windows Defrag).
What do you think I should do from here?

Attached Thumbnails

• Defrag5.png