What is the best way to clean unnecessary info from PC?
Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:07 PM
Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:46 PM
I am glad it found something. That is great news.
Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:01 PM
1st, you have an 80gb drive. Free space 36.6gb of 69.8gb. Add to that about 5gb on the recovery gives you about an 80 gb drive.
You are also showing 22,577.9mb (22gb) in the windows system folder.
Good golly? What is in there?
Can you expand that out and see what it shows? I only have 8.7gb in my windows folder and I do not recall the last time that I reformatted.
It is up to date on all updates (excluding IE 8 and SP3).
The defrag looks to be working. I think the 2nd shot is the anali=ysis and then the 1st is after defrag.
Can you run defrag to try and get that down and looking better.
How does it seem to be running?
Rshaffer...What do you think on the windows folder? 22gb?
Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:09 PM
I would be interested in the time frame between 2nd pic and 4rd pic.
It looks like bloatware to me but I'm not a malware tech. something is moving files around alot and\or causing fragmentation very quickly.
Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:20 PM
We might want to send him to malware to be checked.
Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:28 PM
Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:30 PM
Regarding the extra-size of Windows folder: It could be that data was stored, erronously, in one of windows inner folders (non-hidden, non-system). The OP should search in the folders to see what is going on. I would also suggest that he run Windows installer cleaner.
Edited by The Skeptic, 10 January 2010 - 12:48 PM.
Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:38 AM
1) I will send another screen shot of the Tree Size with the Windows folders expanded. Yes, they are huge, and I don't know why. Windows updates stopped working recently...have not been able to load SP3.
2) I will run Defrag a couple of more times to see if the results improve.
3) There is no time between the 2nd and 3rd screenshots...the 2nd is just the result of the Defrag and the 3rd is just an Analysis after the actual Defrag.
4) I HAVE run through much (if not all) of the Spyware & Malware Cleaning Guide on this site. I will finish and report back on the status. Thus far it has come back clean.
5) I have two other topics open on Geeks2Go...but they were issues with another machine, so they don't apply here.
6) I would be interested to run Windows Installer Cleaner if you think I should...I'll wait for your instruction on that.
Thanks for the help!
Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:00 PM
1. You are going to have to take a look in that folder and see if you recognize anything. IWe suspect that there is data in there by mistake.
2. Also switch over to the defrag that comes with windows for 1 defrag. I have had to alternate a few times to get defrag close to complete. Some fragmented files is ok.
Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:20 PM
There were no replies and if there is still a active infection we may be spinning our wheels here.
what do you think 123Runner?
Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:53 PM
He has 3 topics in virus and malware. 2 of them are closed.
Closed topic. There was nothing done here. http://www.geekstogo...No-t263398.html
Open topic. There was nothing done here. It should be closed. http://www.geekstogo...op-t263399.html
Closed topic. This is where Rorschach112 helped him. http://www.geekstogo...xl-t260128.html
jdohr did have some malware/virus that got cleaned out and since topic was closed by Rorschach112 he should be clean.
Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:33 AM
2) The Malware topic that Rorschach112 helped me with was on another machine...a laptop from one of my kids. Nothing to do with this post.
3) Thanks for deleting those other posts...I could not figure out how to delete a post...if you can let me know for future reference, that would be great.
4) I have not run the Defrag again yet - I will get that done soon.
Edited by jdohr, 15 January 2010 - 12:36 AM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users