Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best way to clean unnecessary info from PC?

• Please log in to reply

jackwlsn09

jackwlsn09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello friend's;
thank's to all of you i am also facing the same problem in many time because I am also running Windows XP on an older machine with a relatively small hard drive and no one solve my problem.thank's to this forum to solve my problem..

Computer Support | Computer Tech Support

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Direct to: jackwlsn09

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
jdohr

Sorry,I have been extremly busy.

The screen shot shows installer files with the MSP extension. The odd thing is that the 1st few are the exact same size and the next ones are the same size.

Google shows that the MSP file extension can be any of the following...
1. MSP file is a Microsoft Paint Image (in Windows 2.0). The MSP format is apparently being replaced by the more versatile Microsoft Windows BMP format.
2. MSP file is an Microsoft Windows Installer Patch (most common). A Windows Installer patch is a self-contained package that contains the specific versions of the application that can receive the patch and the corresponding differences between the versions.
3. Multiple copies of the Windows Installer update package (.msp) file are created when you run an Office 2000 update. MS Support
4. Midi Studio Project file. Project file for Magix Music Studio.

I suspect that the issue is number 3 above. Unfortunately I do not like to have any one go into the registry. I am at a loss right now as to how to proceed.

Rshaffer61, do you have any ideas?

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
No worries, 123Runner. Yes - there are tons and tons of files in there. I did one MS Office update from Office Pro 97 to Office 2003 a few years ago. As I said earlier in the thread, my PC shows both installed when I look in Add/Remove Programs, but it warns me that uninstalling the 97 version might mess Office up if I installed an Office update. ALSO - I have about a dozen Windows updates that will not install...it downloads them, but they all fail. This has been the case for many months. Most or all of them seem to have something to do with Office security updates, patches, SP3 etc. I wonder if many of the files are failed updates? My PC automatically checks for updates every night... Just a thought.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows installer Cleanup

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Do you just want me to download it and run it? Is there anything else I should know before I do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and run. It's that easy as it cleans up all the programs that use windows installers to install. In your case Office which is specifically one of the programs installers it does target.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I want to ask a few questions before I do this. First, am I only supposed to remove the installer files for Office, or should I remove others? When I click on it, it asks me if I am sure I want to continue...and that I WILL have to reinstall the applications that I've selected. I really didn't plan on re-installing Office 2003, but it sounds like I would have to. Do I really want to do that? Am I reading this right? It's a bit scary.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that is what it will do. You first should backup any data files you have in Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and any other office programs.
Then do the program. If you do not have the office cd then we need to stop and go a different direction with this.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 January 2010 - 11:45 AM.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I do have the disk...but, since I purchased the upgrade from my employer it came with a numerical passcode. I just need to find the time to track down the passcode. I'm working on that...more to come.

Advertisements

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Found the disk and the passcode...but I need to wait until I have a few days to burn in case it screws up Office... My kids use this computer every day for their schoolwork and I can't afford to not have Office working. My plan is to do this task in the second week of February during their mid-winter break. I'll post to this topic again once I've done that. As for the PC, it still seems very sluggish, despite the memory freed up. I don't know if the Windows Installer Cleanup will help with the response time... Again, rshaffer61 and 123Runner, thank you for your help - I really appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem as we will both get a email when you post so take your time and we will monitor this topic for your return and update.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
just an idea - are there office files that no one needs? they could clear up some space. That being said, they're not especially large.