Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP repair install freezes at 34 minutes

• Please log in to reply

wahwahbrad

wahwahbrad

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have searched a bunch of forums. I did a repair install on my computer and it went fine. This is another, but same model. The repair install freezes on 34 minutes. I've tried taking the network card out, disabled most things in BIOS, still no luck. Tried leaving it on overnight, no luck. Tried deleting the last .inf file to load (like some website suggested) still nothing.

I went to Microsoft knowledge base and it says you can slipstream something for usbsys or something. I could try disabling USB in bios but my mouse and keyboard are USB only, no old school plug for them.

What can I do?

KB article I am referring to: http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp
and the links mentioned in the article.

But my xp cd is sp2. Don't know if it still applies.

Edited by wahwahbrad, 30 December 2009 - 01:58 PM.

Advertisements

wahwahbrad

wahwahbrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've also tried entering setup in debugging mode.

The company files on there are kinda important. Any suggestions?

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
How old is the computer you are trying to do the repair install on?

Have you tested the hard drive with the manufacturer's testing utility?

Have you tested your memory?

Is your CD Scratched?

wahwahbrad

wahwahbrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
CD isn't scratched. I have multiple copies of the same cd and tried all of them.

How so I do the hard drive check?

How do I check the memory? Unplug one at a time?

Computer is about 2 years old. XP SP2 cd

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

wahwahbrad

wahwahbrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Tried the memory. No luck on either.

For hard drive, I'll try now.

I just burn and boot it with the cd in the bay?

Edited by wahwahbrad, 30 December 2009 - 03:53 PM.

wahwahbrad

wahwahbrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I spoke too soon. It is inthe process of installing.

Hope it goes without further bumps. I've been at this for 2 days. Lol.

So the memory, is it no good?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Won't know till the tests are complete. Most of the time when the install freezes at the point you are mentioning it is either memory or the hard drive itself.
I would suggest running the memtest86 program also as this will tell us for sure. If you have more then one memory module it may be a good ideal to run each module separately as to get a accurate reading for each. It could be one or both modules are bad or failing. Go ahead with the hard drive diagnostics test and then run the memtest.

wahwahbrad

wahwahbrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
K will do over the long weekend

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem we will be here. We're a 24\7 service :)
Enjoy the New year and have a safe one. Don't party to much.

wahwahbrad

wahwahbrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well it's at 5 passes and counting with both sticks installed. No errors.

I have everything working except MS Money and MS IE. They keep mentioning an error. No biggie on the IE since I use firefox mostly.

Money mentioned ms money background banking so I disabled it on startup services in msconfig. It worked once and when I rebooted it stopped working.

It mentions a dll file on both errors. Ofdutil.dll for msmoney and urlmon.dll for
IE

Also, windows update is trying to install Windows NET Framework 1.1 service pack 1 or something but it fails on install. That's true of all 4 of the computers I have though.

I did kinda haphazardly start deleting things after the comp got infected with a virus. Looks like I removed most of it and malwarebytes and avast came up clean so Im assuming it's mostly gone.

Also, it keeps mentioning uaa audio driver install and tells me to insert the uaa installation disk, which I don't have. If i tell it to look online, it tells me I have the most current driver. But there is an exclamation point in the device manager next to it. So I tried to install the sound driver in the cd included with the comp. I guess Im not doing it right or something.

I didn't do the HD test yet

Edited by wahwahbrad, 31 December 2009 - 05:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did kinda haphazardly start deleting things after the comp got infected with a virus. Looks like I removed most of it and malwarebytes and avast came up clean so Im assuming it's mostly gone.

Ok this answers alot. You may still have some infection running in the background. I see you have not received any assistance yet in the malware forum. It has been 3 days since the original post was opened there so I would suggest starting a topic in the Waiting Room with the original post date of the malware topic along with a link to that topic. This should get you assistance quickly then.
I believe the issue is now with that and we need to pause and let that topic be taken care of before we continue. Please post a link to this topic so that the malware tech can see what we have done here to correct the issue so far. Be patient as they are extremely busy in the malware topic.

wahwahbrad

wahwahbrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ah yea that was another computer. That one is running fine now but of course there might be background problems. I should post an updated mbam log and what not. I guess I'll make a separate one for this computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok but you posted in this topic so I thought this system is the one you were talking about?