Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows7 and Outlook Express 6

• Please log in to reply

munleyj

munleyj

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I am upgrading to Windows7. Outlook 6 does not come with Windows7. If I download Outlook Express 6, can I use it with Windows 7?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I looked in to this for some one else.
There is no standalone OE 6. It was part of IE 6 (It is integrated into IE 6). It stayed with IE 7 and then IE 8 as you upgraded the Internet explorers.
What is available now is Windows live mail.

123runner

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I looked in to this for some one else.
There is no standalone OE 6. It was part of IE 6 (It is integrated into IE 6). It stayed with IE 7 and then IE 8 as you upgraded the Internet explorers.
What is available now is Windows live mail.

Outlook Express 6 only appears on a computer when you install IE6 with it. XP pre-installs IE6 and Outlook Express with it. On older Win98, ME and 2000 machines, you get OE6 when you upgrade to IE6 on those platforms.

Outlook Express is not upgraded or indeed featured with regards to IE7 or IE8. However since IE7 is only available for XP and later, it doesn't matter anyway.
Windows Live Mail is tooted as the replacement for Outlook Express across XP, Vista and Windows 7. Under XP it replaces Outlook Express, under Vista it's a replacement for Windows Mail and it's a free add-on under 7 as that OS features no email client by default.

Windows Live Mail uses pretty much the same interface, design and functionality as Outlook Express. Not that I'm particularly keen on it myself, but there you go.