Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wont boot. Screen blank. On board sound keeps beeping.

• Please log in to reply

monkman71

monkman71

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just recently installed a new graphics card in my dell xps 630i and for a decent amount of time, it worked with no problems. Both fans would spin, the card would run incredibly cool, nothing seemed to be wrong so that might not have anything to do with it but often times, the computer will do nothing when I turn it on. The screen remains blank, the on board sound beeps twice, waits a few seconds, beeps twice again and repeats.

If the computer shows anything on screen at all, it simply says that the audio cable is not connected and asks me to either press f1 to continue or f2 to go into setup. I prefer my computer to boot without any errors I need to ignore.

I didn't have any of these issues before I installed the new card so I assume it has something to do with that but not positive. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: Just booted properly, no errors. Everything sounds like it's working fine. What gives?!

Edited by monkman71, 30 December 2009 - 05:56 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Just booted properly, no errors. Everything sounds like it's working fine. What gives?!

Could have just been a glitch. Try rebooting a couple of times and let us know how it works. If it boots fine then I would say a glitch with the new card registering correctly initially.

monkman71

monkman71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Will do. Thank you.

monkman71

monkman71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I think you were right.

A few clean shutdowns and smooth boots later, I think it was just a fluke. I will be sure to update this if the problem returns but for now, I think we figured out the problem.

Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)