Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PLEASE HELP ME OUT OF MALWARE [bleep] ![RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,675 posts
You can clean out your Restore Points as described once you are sure everything is running OK.

System Restore does not and I repeat NOT restore items at reboot all by itself.

I am hoping the issue with Symantec should be fixed by now. It has been out for months.

It is always adviseable to run the latest updates.

Regards,

Advertisements

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
You can clean out your Restore Points as described once you are sure everything is running OK. [COLOR=green]How do I know when that point has been reached ?

System Restore does not and I repeat NOT restore items at reboot all by itself.
[COLOR=green] I have to do something to restore stuff after I do that thang ? ;)

I am hoping the issue with Symantec should be fixed by now. It has been out for months.[COLOR=green] Can you elaborate on this ....do I uderstand that to mean Windows does not work with Symantec Anti Virus ? I am confused ? :tazz:

It is always adviseable to run the latest updates. [COLOR=green]By that I take it u mean Live update in Symantec and internet update in Adaware.....anything I am missing ?

I removed Adwatch using Add Remove, gone......When can I bring it back ?

Input ?

Thanx, this takes a bunch of your time, and I appriciate it !
BH

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,675 posts
You are clean and if your computer is running fine, you should upgrade to SP2.

When that has been done successfully and your computer is still running fine you can clean out your Restore Points.

Regards,

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
My machine seems to be doing well after 24 hours of normal use. There is , however, a message I get at start up that reads something to the effect of "16 Bit Windows Subsystem C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\32AUTOEXEC.INT The system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows application. Choose to "Close" to terminate the application". My choices are Close or Ignore ? How critical is it and how do I fix ? ;)

Regarding upgrade to SP2, I mentioned I have symatec Internet Security with Fire wall, Outbreak alert and a few other security tools. Should I still add SP@ ? Won't the conflict between SP 2 and Symantec IS bog down how fast my system runs ?

When that, ( I presume u mean install SP 2? ) has been done successfully and your computer is still running fine you can clean out your Restore Points.

Thanks
BH :tazz:

Edited by Buffalohead, 22 May 2005 - 11:57 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,675 posts
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324767

Regards,

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanx,

I went there.......tried to do the fix,

Steps 1 thru 6 failed to do anyhting to resolve. No matter how I read the next set of fix, to follow the steps. man, they made no sense ? ;)

i.e. Install what CD ? XP CD or any MS-DOS 16 bit app CD, ( which there is none, I just want to loose that message on startup), I am planning to install CD ? ;)

The %SYSTEMROOT%\system 32 folder ? Where in WINDOWS folder ? There is no &SYSTEMROOT%\system 32 folder ?? :tazz:

I am not afraid to do the fix, but those guys wrote the fix in Yoda-eze not english.
I know nothing in system repair is simple, but cut me some slack !

If I cannot do steps becuase they were drunk when they wrote them, how can I fix the issue ?

Sorry to have u caught in the gravitational pull of my neediness but I am truely lost in translation here !

TY
BH :)

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,675 posts
This should be a bit easier:

Download and run: http://www.visualtou...oads/xp_fix.exe

Regards,

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well, Blink, done ? Wow.....if It worked I'll go away and leave u alone.
Won't know for sure till I restart.

Re: System restore clean up process.......when should I attempt that ?

TY

BH

:tazz:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,675 posts
Wait with cleaning out system restore untill you have given it a good test drive.

Regards,

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
One other issue, I don't mean to stay too long at the party, except you seem to be incredibly aware of PC issues / fixes etc, period. Somehow, I lost the Shutdown (Turn off) icon on thestart up initial first blue screen where all user icons for sign in are in XP home ? Any pointers on how I can restore it ?
TY
BH :tazz:

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,675 posts
That's probably this one:

Copy the part in bold below into notepad and save it as sdwolo.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]
"shutdownwithoutlogon"=dword:00000001

Doubleclick the file and confirm you want to merge it with the registry.

Regards,

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Metallica,

You deserve a raise. Show this to your boss. I am three sheets to the wind, on white wine, Almendin Mountain Rhine....yet, u were able to talk me through this and the last fix worksed 5 by 5 !! U R the man!!! Unfortunatly, It is like giving cats milk. Once you do, we keep coming back. But the point is, u solved all my issues, so I will not bother u any more, until the next assalt, of which I pray to the God of Intel there is none. U are awesome !!
Thank u so very much!
Now take some time off and go check out Star Wars, Episode III, Return of the Sith.....you are the Lord of Malware! And tell your boss to pay for your tickets !

My wife read this message and Bit__ed me out saying I look like and idiot...."I don't Think so" ( Homey the Clown... 1994)

Thanx
Buffalohead :tazz:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,675 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

Please have a look at my site for some tips on how to remove and prevent spyware.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Regards,