Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gmail and Google blocked

• Please log in to reply

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok, so trying to help a friend with a computer problem but I'm kinda running out of things to try.

Gmail will not load in any browser. (FF IE etc) Google.com will load but when i search I just get an auto:blank. Every other website works (except searching on Yahoo as well, haven't tested their e-mail) I'm placing this in the XP forum because it seems to be unrelated to the browser as it happens in each one i've tried.

What i've tried:
Clearing cache, reinstalling browsers, virus/malware/spyware scan, registry scan, system restore, Cleanup! (the program), deleted all addons, reset router/modem, disabling all firewalls, and pretty much all i can think of short of reformatting. Yes i restarted the computer :)

Only thing I can think of is some kind of nondetachable bot running made by rivalry search engines. I can excess gmail and google searches using a proxy like Torr or JAP but that's just avoiding the problem and runs really slow.

That's about it, maybe I'm just forgetting something simple but kinda giving up and about to grab a fresh XP cd.

Advertisements

eherr9633

eherr9633

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well two things.

1 - check your host file.
Located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

open it up in notepad and make sure it just says

127.0.0.1 localhost

after that swing by the malware forum and also stop off the pre-cleaning guide

have a good one

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also how about your firewall? Maybe it somehow has blocked both from being accessed.Check it for allowed sites or not allowed.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Well two things.

1 - check your host file.
Located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

open it up in notepad and make sure it just says

127.0.0.1 localhost

after that swing by the malware forum and also stop off the pre-cleaning guide

have a good one

Awesome man, knew it was just a simple fix. Any reason why google and yahoo would be listed in my host files to block it? Some kind of malware or my friend just stupid? Either way thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be a possible infection and it might be worth a trip to just have it checked out.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here