Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista - Compaq Presario c700 - Keyboard and Touch Pad don'

• Please log in to reply

Pat Jackson

Pat Jackson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I turned on my laptop this morning to find that the touch pad doesn't work. This wasn't really a problem as I generally use a plug-in mouse, however, upon restarting my computer again, my keyboard also doesn't work.

I'm running Vista 32 bit and I have no idea what to do.

Does this sound like a software problem or a hardware problem? Is it possible that I have a virus that is causing this?

Would my best solution be to re-install Vista?

I have everything backed up so I don't mind doing that, however, I don't know how. When I bought my laptop Vista was pre-installed so I don't have the CD.

I'd be very appreciative to any help you guys could offer!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If you can get into Control Panel (classic view)>> System >> Device Manager, have a look in the device list for any red or yellow question marks/exclamation marks. If you see any, you need to re-install the drivers for items which are flagged. The drivers are supplied by the laptop maker on their support website, not by the manufacturers of the individual devices, because most laptop drivers are custom-written for the laptop maker so standard oem drivers would not work properly in most cases.

If device manager is "clean" (no problem devices shown) then it could be a faulty laptop and you need to get it checked out.