Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reboot and select proper boot device

• Please log in to reply

bfaraj

bfaraj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. :)

Recently, my computer had its power accidentally cut out (plugged the electricity out) without being properly shut down prior to it. Now, I get an error before Windows even begins booting:

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

Now I have the opportunity, before this error appears, to press DEL to enter BIOS. I did so and went into the Boot tab. There, I had 3 choices:

HDD - something something
Removable Device
CD-Rom

There are 2 HDDs in my computer by the way.

I tried putting HDD before Removeable Device and Removable Device before HDD but neither worked.

What DID work though is tapping F8 as the PC is booting. That opened a single window asking me which device to boot from. There, I also had 3 choices:
HDD - something something (as in numbers)
SATA - something something
CD-Rom

Choosing SATA works. I assume "Removable Device" in BIOS' boot tab is SATA but that didn't work. IT only works if I tap F8 continuously and choose SATA in the window.

SO basically now, whenever I want to be able to use my computer (windows 7) I need to tap F8 as the PC is booting and choose SATA.

So I guess the solution would be to somehow get SATA to appear in the choice of boot priorities in my BIOS.

Help would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Advertisements

Fllash

Fllash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
(the power outage may have, if windows seems intact, reset your CMOS)
What i have noticed is that selecting HDD as the first or primary boot option is only half the deal.
You should see (under the boot tab) an menu that you can enter allowing you to select which physical HDD to boot from - just enter into it and select the drive that is not currently in the first position, and switch them around.

If there is no such menu (though there should be), you can use a program called 'EasyBCD' to rewrite the bootsector to whatever hard drive is in first position, and that should fix it up. But the options you are looking for should exist in the bios somewhere under BOOT.

Thanks,
Josh.

bfaraj

bfaraj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That worked.

Thank you kindly, I'm not sure how I didn't notice this menu!

Thanks a lot and happy new year.