Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE disabled

• Please log in to reply

Marc7

Marc7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have been cleaning up a Time laptop loaded with XP and it crashed and will no longer boot up.

I have no XP boot disc

The bios logs "primary IDE....Disabled"

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you gone into the bios itself and enabled the primary IDE?
First post screen you should see how to enter the bios or setup area.

Marc7

Marc7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I assume that the IDE is auto enabled/recognised as I can see no manual option to enable it in the bios.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
After some research I found a potential reason. Do the following and let me know what happens.

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool.
Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

NEW INSTRUCTIONS:

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Even though you are getting the error, does bios show a drive?

FYI: This will be very tough to get fixed. I was involved in another post quite a while ago.
The Time computer was bought out. There is no service, no tech support, and no drivers available on the net.
They have disappeared.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think we are on the same page 123Runner. This error seems to point to a failing or failed hard drive.

Marc7

Marc7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Am struggling a little as this is my wife's computer (Time laptop) and I have no way of knowing the make of the HDD

Specs say 2.5 inch IDE Ultra DMA66/100 support but no make.......???????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you don't know you can open the hard drive bay on the bottom of the laptop to see what it is or you can get the SeaTools diagnostics as it will do most of the hard drives.
I suggest the first option. The bay can be opened by removing one little screw and the hard drive will be right there to see. It may be marked with HDD compartment.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
If I would hazard a guess, I would say Hitachi or Toshiba.
They seem to be quite frequent in older laptops.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

I would try the Hitachi.
I have also heard that Seagate sometimes works on other manufacturers.

Before going to that work, do you know if it will even boot from a CD.
Try a bootable CD.

123runner