Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor stops showing picture

• Please log in to reply

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
My HP 2009m LCD monitor is acting odd. It just seems to decide to just stop showing the image from the computer it's attached to, and it detects no signal even though all connections are sound. after a while, it will come back on.

Any idea what's going on? I have no idea whatsoever.

EDIT: I just realized I probably should post this in the hardware section. Oops! :)

Edited by mkau, 31 December 2009 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you by chance tried a different monitor or tried your monitor on a different system? It sounds like the monitor may be having a problem.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
No, it's not the monitor - I tried with a different monitor, and it said "no signal". Maybe my VGA output is the problem? Video card maybe?

from what I can tell, it probably is the card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your video onboard or a add on card?

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Fairly sure it's onboard - but to be honest, I couldn't tell you the difference! Let's just say I'm computer hardware illiterate.

Oh, also, I haven't gotten a signal since about 11:00 AM yesterday.

Edited by mkau, 01 January 2010 - 10:09 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the video is onboard the monitor will plug in up around the keyboard and mouse connectors. If it is a addon card it will be in one of the slots.
At this point i would say the video is shot and a replacement is needed. If onboard not a problem because when you put a addon card it should auto disable the onboard anyway. If a addon card then it would mean taking out the old and replacing with a new one.
Is your system a name brand system? If so what is the make and model of it please?

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
sure - it's an HP M7680Y desktop, with XP Media Center edition.

I think - I'm not sure about this, but I think - that it's a separate card.

Edited by mkau, 01 January 2010 - 10:37 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to your system specs located HERE you are correct in it being a addon card.
Is the system still under warranty or is it out of warranty now?
If not in warranty can you let me know what the main use of the system is please? I will try to find some cards that will work in your system for you.
You do have a PCI Express 16 slot so that will allow you to get a newer card with more memory if you would like.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
No, it's not under warranty, and it gets used for just about everything - games, internet, schoolwork, etc. The heaviest game is Star Wars: Battlefront II, which is fairly graphics intensive.

BTW, thanks for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not knowing what your budget is for a replacement card i am linking to the full list of cards HERE
I would suggest at least a 512 meg video card as that will make sure your game will work fine. put the list in cost order low to high and you can find something I'm sure that will work for you. All the cards are PCI Express so they should work in your system with no problem.

Advertisements

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
is this one any good? http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1558

Looks pretty good, especially considering I think the one in there right now is a 7800 series.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does your monitor have a digital connection or is it analog?
The card only has digital.
The other issue is if you have the manual for the motherboard you should check and make sure the pci express is 2.0
If you don't a quick call to HP should give you the information.
Other then the above question i would buy that card.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
It has VGA and DVI, so yes, it does have digital.
My mom actually works for HP, so I figure she can ask someone about it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would make sure if it is PCI Express 1.0 or 2.0 before you buy the card. You also might want to see if a bios flash would upgrade that too.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I would make sure if it is PCI Express 1.0 or 2.0 before you buy the card. You also might want to see if a bios flash would upgrade that too.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is a BIOS flash?