Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor stops showing picture

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Flashing the bios allows newer functions and\or updates for the motherboard onboard chips like the USB.
It is not something we suggest unless there is a particular reason for it and in your case there may be with your USB.
I'm not sure if HP has a windows based flashing utility but your mom should be able to find that out for you.
Just be very careful because messing a flash up could render your motherboard useless. There is always a option to backup your existing bios before doing the flash and if you decide to do this then I will try to find the instruction that work with your system.

Advertisements

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
ehhhh... I think I'm gonna have to go with no on that one. I have stuff on there I haven't backed up yet.

From what I could find, the PCIe 2.0's are backwards compatible, so that GPU would still work, right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Backwards compatible means if the mobo is 2.0 and the card is 1.0 it will work. Dig a little deeper on the HP site and see if you can find which MOBO they have in your system. this may help you find the specs on the MOBO itself and if not let me know and i will check for you.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Yeah, all it says is PCI Express x16, not whether it's a 1.0 or a 2.0.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I would think you should be ok. The good thing is TigerDirect is very good at returns and exchanges.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
alright then, thanks very much for the help (what is this, the third time I've said this?), rshaffer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and let me know how everything goes. A thank you goes a long way here. We do this for just the satisfaction we get in helping and your Thank you makes it all worth it in the end. So Thank You for allowing me the privilege of assisting you with this. I will await your results. :) :) :) :)

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Went out to Microcenter today, got the 9500. It works great!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything back up and running correctly now?

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
yep - better than the old one, too. I can run Battlefront at full graphics levels now.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great so the problem was a bad graphics card. :) :)
I am so glad it turned out to be a easy resolution and everything is now working to your satisfaction.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.