Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

re-installed XP, no internet

• Please log in to reply

Emily467

Emily467

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
hi, I just wiped out everything on my hard drive of my computer, it's an HP m7640n, but now that SXP is re installed I can't connect to the internet. I've googled this and looked around the fourms and see that connecting to the internet is a common problem to people that install XP and I've tried all the soultions but nothing worked so here's where I am.

I have 3 ways that I can connect to the internet, dial up (way too slow on this computer) and eithernet cable is plugged in and flashing green, and a usb wireless adapter with my network. all of these methods worked before I wiped the system and now only dial up works

I go to hardware>network I see the linksys wireless G adapter (model WUSB54GC) but it has a yellow ! net to it because the driver is not installed, I tried transfering the driver from my other computer but it says it need internet access to install, how ironic...

my ethernet car shows up and it is green and has no yellow ! mark next to it, it's called NVDIA nForce Networking Connection, (model under systeem info says HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter)

so I go to network setting in control panel and it says that the NVDIA is connected under local area connection 2, but internet explorer won't connect or aol, so I right click repair and it says it's renewing the IP address and then it stops and an error message says it can't renew my IP address, bleh.

I tired to go into run and put in IP /config and IP /renew or whatever like some sugessted but the black window just shows up for a split second and then closes.

I downloaded the HP driver again and tried to install it, but it said it installed and I would find some whatsnew.doc on my computer that would show me how to install it...?

this is a fresh windows XP and I tested the wireles adapter and ethernet cable on my other computer and they worked, they also worked before the refresh someone help me please and thank you!

Advertisements

garymeek

garymeek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Go to your control panel, click on network connections and see if you have an IP address on your connections, if not, try the repair button. If this doesn't work, you may have to contact your IP provider as I had to do.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

123runner

Emily467

Emily467

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thanks for helping and happy holidays, I looked through all the hardware and it appears that under other devices, there is a yellow ! next to Compact Wireless-G USB adapter, everything else in device manager is normal

and also yes I went to properties and found my connection and it does have an IP address

Edited by Emily467, 31 December 2009 - 11:33 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Go to start...
Go to run...
Type in CMD and click ok.
A command box will open.Type in ipconfig/all and hit enter

Report back what gets returned.

Your wireless G driver.
You must choose your version first.

Emily467

Emily467

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thanks! thats my adapter and I have version 1, I downloaded the driver and put it on the computer and installed. so then I plugged it in again and the unknown hardware popped up and so I pressed install driver from specific location, but when I browse to the folder it won't let me select it, in fact it won't let me do anything beacuse even if I select a folder or type on in it just says E: , and an error message comes up saying that dosen't exist, beacuse it dosent.

as for ipconfig-

Attached File  config.bmp   450.98KB   222 downloads

(I didn't know if it was safe to share the address stuff so I crosssed it out, but it's there)

Emily467

Emily467

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm trying to install drivers for my linksys wireless G adapter (model WUSB54GC v1) that I transfered to my computer that I just reformated and re-installed XP on internet dosen't work) so when I plug in my wireless adapter it show a yellow ! in hardware config so I go to the install new hardware window and I choose the advanced option to select install the driver and it shows E: next to the browse tab, which is my CD driver where it's not there, so I choose browse and go to desktop where it is and it won't let me select it...I type in C: but it says the driver dosent exist in the destination...it only lets me select E please someone help!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Transfer the driver from your desktop to C directory.

Emily467

Emily467

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
oh sorry forget to mention that I DID transfer it to the C: drive, and even so it says to driver information exists in that drive

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Wrong driver?
Where did you get it from?

Advertisements

Emily467

Emily467

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm almost certian hte driver is correct beacuse I downloaded 3, one is off the offical lynksys driver wevsite and the other off the offical ralink website. nad im absolutly sure of the model number as well

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Is it laptop, or desktop?
Built-in adapter, or USB?

Emily467

Emily467

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
it is a desktop, and its a USB adapter, I have a bulit in ethernet adapter but that won't work since the re-install either, even though it says its connected

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Are you saying, you just reinstalled Windows?
What was original reason to do it?
What was used to reinstall Windows?
What brand of computer is it?
Did you plug in wireless adapter while computer off?
How did you find out, your ethernet card doesn't work?

Emily467

Emily467

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I made a post a few days ago involving the ethernet adapter that answers those questions, and I used system restore to re-install windows, and my adapter was plugged in while it was off

http://www.geekstogo...et-t263540.html