Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot lock!Please help!

• Please log in to reply

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Hi again.I have recently bought a used desktop for personal use.It work well for some time.Recently when I start the computer,the computer does not go to setup.However,it displays a message like this:

Boot lock Compatible Version Ver.016
Please do not insert any disc into CD-ROM or Floppy drive
if you want to recovery with an USB device.
Bad BIOS checksum.Starting BIOS Recovery
Checking for floppy....
Floppy not found!
Checking for CD-ROM...
CD-ROM not found!
Checking for USB Device...
USB Device not found!

It continues on and on with checking with floppy, etc.I cannot go to setup or do anything.What can I do to remove this annoying message?Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

I cannot go to setup or do anything

I assume that this means you tried to enter the BIOS setup?

With power off and unplugged from the wall.
Remove the 3.3vdc battery. It is a silver flat battery about the size of a watch battery. Leave it out for about 10 minutes.

Better yet replace the battery. They are about $4.00 US.
The "bad bios checksum" is referring to a bios problem. The battery is meant to hold those settings.
So either the battery is bad, or worse (I have had this a couple times), the main board is bad.

Replacing the battery should allow the computer to load its default settings.

123runner

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Thanks for the reply.I have already replace and leave the battery for more than 10 minutes.However,it is not working.I have to some research and googled and find out that the bootlock need a file for it to restore to the usual settings.However,I can't seem to find it.Btw,my motherboard is a Asus Modulus Formula.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...

Do you mean the motherboard is an ASUS Maximus Formula? If that's the case, it shouldn't be the CMOS battery...the Maximus boards haven't been around long enough that you should run into a dead battery unless the battery was defective from the git-go.

There is a Clear CMOS button on the bottom of the Maximus boards that allows one to reset the BIOS settings to default settings. Have you tried pressing that?

wannabe1

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
I think that a switch I guess..Yes I have tried that but it does not work.After playing around with it,I found out that a file P5E.rom is needed.Any ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The file it's asking for is a BIOS update. Updating the BIOS on most ASUS boards is pretty painless using their EZ Flash utility.

Some generic instructions can be found HERE. For more specific instructions, consult the owner's manual that came with your board.

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Its still not working.I have gone to the website and found the bios update.However,when I renamed it to P5E.rom and put it inside my thumbdrive.

It displays this:

Boot lock Compatible Version Ver.016
Please do not insert any disc into CD-ROM or Floppy drive
if you want to recovery with an USB device.
Bad BIOS checksum.Starting BIOS Recovery
Checking for floppy....
Floppy not found!
Checking for CD-ROM...
CD-ROM not found!
Checking for USB Device...
USB Device found!
Reading file "P5E.rom"
File not Found!

One more question:I have read the thread and they said that I need to go to setup to update my bios.However,I can't even go to my setup due to my boot lock.What do I do?

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Sorry for the double post,I forgot to mention that when I bought the computer there is no manual.Thanks! :)