Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound From My Computer!

• Please log in to reply

Aukake

Aukake

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Just got my old comp working. And just installed the drivers for my Sound card which is a Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio but no sound coming from my speakers....

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
have you checked device mangager for any red or yellow problem flags in the sound category? Such flags could mean wrong driver installed or it didn't install properly.

Also check the speakers on a PC on which you know the sound works okay, as the speakers themselves may be faulty.

Check in Windows that the master volume is not muted. The speaker icon in the system tray will have a red cross on it if it's muted.

Check the volume knob position on the speakers themselves if they have one.

last but by no means least (because it's a classic mistake I've made myself) make sure the speaker plug is in the correct jack (speaker out) on the sound card rear panel, because the "line in" and "mic in" jacks take the same size plug so it's easy to get it wrong. The jacks are colour-coded usually, but on my Soundblaster card the position of each colour in the manual doesn't match what's on the card.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 01 January 2010 - 01:35 PM.

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
everything done still not working. device manager says everything is working properly so dont know whats up still.

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
when i goto sound in control panel it says no aduio device. how do i set it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does you device manager have a Sound entry near the bottom? Please do the following and supply the pisture of the whole deviice manager window. This will help us find the problem.
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Here ya go: I reinstalled the drivers from Driverguide.com
device.JPG

Edited by Aukake, 01 January 2010 - 02:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK let;s see if it shows up this way.

Go To:
Start and then to Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
If Microphone is not in the list then click on Options and then on Properties
Scroll down in the Show the following volume controls: area and make sure to put a check in the box next to Microphone and then click OK
Check and make sure the Volume is turned up and that the Mute box is not checked[/b]
Now click on the Advanced Button and in the new window click the Mic Boost box so it is checked.

Now go to:
Start and the Control Panel
Then go to Sounds And Audio Devices
Click On the Audio Tab and in the Sound Recording are make sure your Sound Card is the Default Device
If not please click on the Drop Down Menu and change it

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
did sndvol32.exe and got this error

There are no active mixer devices available. to install mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I seen you reply to lots of my post. Thanks for all the help youve been helping me with. tried to fix my other comp that got that nasty virus. but nothing can be helpe with it. it was 10 years old. so think i might just buy a new one. the comp you are helping me with now is my gfs dads old comp. i got the ethernet driver working so i can go online and try to fix the rest. but no sound and for some reason says invalid xp product key. so trying to figure out why there windows isnt vaild anymore.

There's your problem. I would suggest rebooting the system and going into the bios. Then find the advanced or integrated area. Check to make sure that the audio is enabled. I am including the instructions to get into the bios.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
[list]
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced or Integrated Peripherals area and click Enter

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Audio and Audio front panal was Enabled.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does rear audio work with speakers?

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
nope. my speakers are plugged into the rear. no audio

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
this is my prob. and this is what i see. But this didnt fix it.
http://www.pchell.co...available.shtml

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like dead audio chip then.
At this point i would suggest a new audio card but that will not fix the front panel problems I don't think unless the audio card has internal connections for the front panel and the wires would need to be long enough to reach it.

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Okay. Well thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.