Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speed up dial up?

• Please log in to reply

Ketza

Ketza

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have dial up through earthlink that is only about 27Kb/s speed. They gave me other phone numbers but got the same results. Then said it could be wiring in my house. It was built in 1986. Modem is 56k. Is there a way to check this for the layman and could it be in the wiring from the box away from house rather than in the house itself?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A connection speed of 27Kb/s is a little on the low side but it's acceptable. Most phone lines would only connect at about 38-42kb/s anyway. Even if you do rip out all the wires and slap new wiring down it's not going to make a world of difference, the only thing you'd see any different would be average download speeds (from the fastest servers) go up from an average 3kb to about 4.5kb/s. Not really worth the effort in my view, you may as well consider moving over to broadband which would solve the entire speed issue anyway.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Neil is correct on his assessment.
You will not gain much.

With that said. Where is the phone connection that you are using located?
Is it near where the phone company brings the line in to the house? or
Is it at the "end" of the line? You will lose a little as you get further away from the entry.
The connections on the wires to the outlets could be loose/ corroded.

If you could find the main entry point, you might be able to wire something up as a test.
This would confirm inside/outside problem.
I do not suspect you would gain much (if any).

All of this is not worth the time and expense.

Ketza

Ketza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Neil Jones and 123Runner. I am cheap so have been trying to make do with dial up. Just was hoping to find a way to make the best of dial up. Since I know little about computers thought I would ask others for some help. I appreciate yours.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as stated...the only way to speed up dial-up is to get broadband....