Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help/Suggestion for me

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello, I'm planning to upgrade again my PC. Last time I upgraded the video card, hard drive, and OS.
Now I'm looking if I should upgrade my memory to 4GB 667mhz. PC-5300/5400 is what my motherboard supported. I can't put a higher clock memory. So please give me a suggestion. Should I go upgrade my motherboard then install a faster memory?? Or should I upgrade my memory to 4GB 667mhz??

Currently I'm using 2GB(2x1GB) 667mhz memory ram.

Happy new year 2010 ^_^

Edited by Axelion, 01 January 2010 - 02:20 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PC5300 is DDR667Memory. It's the same speed, just a different way of expressing it.
Whether you need to go to 4Gb of memory depends on what you're doing with the computer.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

PC5300 is DDR667Memory. It's the same speed, just a different way of expressing it.
Whether you need to go to 4Gb of memory depends on what you're doing with the computer.

I do lot of multitasking. Gaming + photoshop + video streaming!
My current memory score is pretty low. It's at 5.5.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
5.5 is pretty low?
I have 2Gb of DDR2 800 (PC6400) and I only get 5.4 so I think you're doing pretty well.
Anyway those figures mean nothing in the real world so I wouldn't get too preoccupied by them.

You may benefit from extra memory but what is your computer name and model please? We can see how much memory it is able to take. It's pointless recommending a 4Gb kit if the machine only takes certain speeds and a certain amount.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I have a custom PC. I bought every parts and built it myself.
My specs are:
-ECS Motherboard 945GCT-M/1333 (V3.0)
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66ghz
-OCZ 2GB 667mhz PC-5300 Memory Ram
-EVGA 9800 GT Superclocked
-460 watts Cooler Master Super Silent Power Supply
-Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB SATA
-Maxtor Diamond 100GB PATA
-Memorex DVD Burner/Writer Dual Layer
-Windows 7 Professional OS

I heard that the windows experience score in Windows 7 is always giving you a higher score than in Vista.

Edited by Axelion, 01 January 2010 - 05:14 PM.

PH3N0M

PH3N0M

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I would upgrade the motherboard then get ram with a faster bus speed. Try to get 4GB 800MHZ or 1060MHZ.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I would upgrade the motherboard then get ram with a faster bus speed. Try to get 4GB 800MHZ or 1060MHZ.

well, I thought that too but after doing my own research of ram memory. It's not really worth it. The performance increase from 667mhz to 800mhz would be just about 2%....unless someone would give me a free motherboard then sure I will get 800mhz ram memory ^_^

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Going from 667 to 800 or even 1066 isn't worth it so I wouldn't even consider it. If you are considering replacing the board you may as well go the whole hog and a DDR3 solution.
That ECS motherboard you've listed will take 4Gb of memory.

Crucial's website says, for your board: "Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-8500,DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot", so in other words DDR2 800, DDR2 1066 and DDR2 667.

Edited by Neil Jones, 02 January 2010 - 03:36 AM.