Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency

• Please log in to reply

zillah

zillah

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi

I have got two hard disk on my desktop one of them is called C for OS XP SP3 and other is called D for program files and Data

Recently whenever I restarted my PC I would have been experiencing the message below

Checking file system on D :
Type : NTFS

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)
File verification completed

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3 )
File verification for completed

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3 )
Security descriptors completed

After that I could not write the whole message

What could be causing this problem ?

Thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It means what it says.
You have corrupt files or bad sectors.
This will come up periodically.

Allow it to run. And make sure it shows no errors when complete.
If it does show errors, run it again.

It can be caused by a hard shut down of the computer, a program that did not respond at closing and did not save its information, or a failing drive.

You can invoke the check disk by yourself if you need.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the next steps in order:

Click Start, then Run (Search In Vista)
Type cmd, and click Ok
At the prompt in the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query ?: and press Enter (Where ? is the letter of the drive to queried)

Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

To unset the Dirty Bit

• If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands. Please note the spaces.
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c ?: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x ?: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r ?: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query ?:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup.

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

Yes it does and I am going to follow up the instructions

Thanks for that

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and i will await the results of all the steps.

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thank you and i will await the results of all the steps.

Hi rshaffer61

So far so good I restarted the PC three times and chkdsk didn't run on startup

Let up see how it will go for couple of days.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. Please let us know how everything works out for you as this will help others possibly in the future with the same issue.

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Let up see how it will go for couple of days.

Till now every thing is fine.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
16 days and everything working great. That is great to hear and I'm sure someone else will benefit from your resolution in the future. congratulations and let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for assistance.

mej_sts

mej_sts

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
In the past, I used rshaffer61's post of 01 January 2010 - 07:08 AM to fix a dirty disk. My Toshiba now has a variation on that problem.

When installing an OS update to Vista, what seems to happen is that the attempt fails, and the disk is corrupted and shows dirty again.
This update is:
<<Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2416447)
Download size: 13.7 MB
>>
Can this really cause a Dirty Bit? If so
How can I get rid of this apparently corrupted file and replace it with a new download?
Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go into Add\Remove Programs
Make sure to click the little box on the top that says Show All Updates
Scroll through and find the offending update and remove it.
Now try updating again and see if it corrects the faulty update.

mej_sts

mej_sts

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried your suggestion. The file does not show as an installed. It shows in the to be installed update list. The update fails, so it's not in the installed list. It must have failed numerous times because it is old.

Also, this PM it showed NOT dirty, but after an incremental backup it again shows dirty.

Suggestions please?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something is not releasing in the memory correctly which is what causing the dirty bit.
Lets try this and see what happens.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

mej_sts

mej_sts

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
First, I should mention that my ver. of Vista on this Toshiba looks a bit like XP. It has a Run in Start, as well as a Search.
Second, I did the sls scannow and it went through verification, did not show any errors, and just exited from the cmd page when it finished.
Third, I uploaded the CBS.log file to Enterupload. What is supposed to happen here?
So, I'm not sure where to go from here.
Thanks.

mej_sts

mej_sts

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry, that should have been slc scannow as you specified.