Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports help

• Please log in to reply

Dioo

Dioo

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey guys, need some real help. I recently upgraded my PC, bought a new Motherboard, Processor, HDD and RAM. I put eveyrthing together, installed a fresh copy of windows XP, and all was going great.

Started to install programs off my external HDD, and then, all of a sudden my USB ports stopped working, mouse, externa, and keyboard stopped working. Everything else was still functioning normally, but the USB's were frozen.

Restarted, after a while, the USB ports stop again.

Ive tried uninstalling the USB controllers, and reinstalling them, same thing. I dont know what the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
USB ports on xp can give problems if no service packs are installed (ie the original RTM version of XP). Preferably, SP3 should be installed.

To install SP3 you must already have SP1 or SP2 installed according to Microsoft.

To reduce the download time, Microsoft advises you get SP3 via Microsoft Update. It will only download & install those parts of SP3 which are required on your particular system.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 01 January 2010 - 12:43 PM.

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
USB ports worked fine BEFORE you inserted your external hard drive?

If so, then the trouble-maker should be the external hard drive...or more precisely, something ON the external hard drive. I strongly recommend to make a verify check on your external HDD for malicious softwares.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey, I'll download SP3 but I've never had a problem with the old mobo and SP2.

Funny thing is, even if my externel is unplugged, and I plug in my adsl modem(USB) the ports malfunction, not instantly, but later on as if the pc can't handle more than 2 ports,which means it's not the externel. Here are my theories:

-PSU is not giving enough power to the USBs.
-One of the ports is short circuiting causing the others to malfunction.
-Motherboard is defective

If it's one of these theories how do I go about figuring out which one it is? Any other theories are welcome.

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Motherboard? Interesting...may I ask how old is your motherboard? If it's getting really old, the battery on your motherboard is at the edge of demise, and you might need to replace it with a new one.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
This Motherboard is brand new, it's an Intel DP55WB. So is the processor intel Core i5 2,66

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Will do as soon as I get home.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem. :)

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Here is the screeny you wanted. Lemme know if theres anything else you need.
untitled.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be in the bios then and somehow got disabled.
That would be the next step I would suggest.
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced or Intergrated area and click Enter
Look for USb and see if the setting is disabled

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yeah ive done that too, I think your misunderstanding the problem, maybe im not clear hehe, the USBS work when i boot into windows, but sometimes they stop all of a sudden after a while. Everything else in the PC works fine, but the mouse and keyboard and all other usb peripherals stop functioning. :)

Edited by Dioo, 01 January 2010 - 04:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be caused by a faulty driver. Let's check it real quick to see.
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Here is the report. (FYI, as i was replying to your comments, Mouse/keyboard froze, had to restart. longest time since last crash though, about 7 hours)

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no valid crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Edited by Dioo, 01 January 2010 - 04:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I know you just rebuilt the system but can you check and make sure all internal fans are turning correctly and that nothing is in the way of any fans.
Also just to make sure the system is clean of all dust bunnies also.
another option is maybe a faulty load of the motherboard chipset drivers. What XP version are you using and have you been able to upgrade it to SP3 yet?
Also have you been able to get all windows updates from Microsoft.
If not please try this... reboot and go into Safe Mode with Networking Does the USB problem still exist?