Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports help

• Please log in to reply

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
OK thanks a lot.

The fans are turning properly, however the fan i have is a 3 pin connected to a 4 pin on the motherboard. No dust bunnies.

I am download SP3 as we speak.

Im using windows XP Professional 32bit and I used the CD that came with the Motherboard for the chipset drivers.

I have not downloaded the Microsoft Updates becuase I turn off the Auto-Updates.

I will download sp3 and check if it does it again, and i will also reboot in safemode with networking and get back to you. thanks a lot, i appreciate the help. Get back to you asap.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and I think your best best is the motherboard drivers and especially the chipset driver.
Please let us know how it goes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
exactly how many usb devices do you have connected...
do you have a usb hub...they can cause problems sometimes..
do you have a multi card reader attached to your system ...it may be a IRQ conflict or running out of available IRQ's and then having to share...the only thing that can share IRQ's with usb is IRQ Steering ...
is the external drive self powered...(plugged into wall socket)
how long is the external drive's usb cable

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah what he said ^^^^^^
He is back again to give more insight. :) :)

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have 4 at a time usually, mouse, keyboard, external, modem.

No USB hub or multicard reader, Ive checked IRQ in the Device Manager and there are lot of Shared IRQ's shown, although ide have to say i dont really know what that means and how i can fix it.

The external is self-powered, and the cable is about 3/4 of a meter long.

Thanks for the input!

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey guys here's an update, installed SP3 and conducted a test run. The test was transferring a large file from my externel to the PC (which usually freezes) , and what do u know, it froze :) so SP3 didn't help.

So I took the alternate root and decided to take the advice of my fellow tech supporters and boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Conducted the same test, copied a large file fro the external to the PC and it worked flalwlessly with no freezing. I took it a step forward and decided to copy 5 gigs of files at once from my externel to the PC PLUS plugging in my iPhone and modem, no freezing at all.

Just to be sure I repeated these tests booting into windows and safe mode and kept coming out with the same result, safe mode is working and windows keeps freezing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then you have a driver issue...

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Okay, sounds simple enough. However I looked on the intel site for updates, no chipsets update. Could it be the VGA by any chance or is this strictly a motherboard driver issue? Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's do this a different way to see if it is a currently installed dirver.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
alright, will check each one, run the copy/paste test and see what happens. Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uncheck them all and then reboot. Does the USB work?
If so then you will need to check one and reboot. Try usb and keep doing that till you find the one that is turning it off.
If this shows nothing then we will need to look at reinstalling USB driver and\or motherboard chipset driver.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Will do, however keep in mind that as soon as I installed a fresh XP and booted, started installing programs it would freeze. Which means that there weren't Many startup programs to begin with when the problem arose. But I will do what you have asked me since you know more than me :)

I'll let you know asap.

Edited by Dioo, 02 January 2010 - 07:48 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask just as a matter of information. If this is a new installation would it be more sensible to format and start over? It very well could be a faulty installation that is causing all this.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've reinstalled twice. :) still haven't gotten home to do the startup thing.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I went to msconfig and unchecked all the Startup programs, booted into windows, tried to transfer a large number of files from the external, usb's froze approx halfway through transfer lol...

I realized the only time the USBs freeze is if i either use the External or plug in another USB (modem or flash drive), but keyboard and mouse alone seem to be fine.

Only time they ALL work properly is safe mode.

Edit:

Here's something very interesting that just happened to me, The mouse and keyboard froze, but i noticed that the light on the mouse was still on! that means the USB was still functional, isnt that strange?

More than that, i unplugged the mouse from the back of the PC, and stuck it in the front port, the mouse worked! the keyboard was still in the back and non functional so i unplugged it and stuck it in the front port next to the mouse, as soon as i did that, the whole PC froze, not just the usbs, i had to force a restart.

Something to think about. I hope so anyways tongue. :)

Edited by Dioo, 02 January 2010 - 11:09 AM.