Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates caused bad_pool_caller 0x*C2

• Please log in to reply

Rinnie

Rinnie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Please help me :)

On the sys I reg'd, running XP SP-3, w/ automatic Windows updates set to download and prompt to install... downloaded updates automatically; then when shutting down, default "shut down" button automatically installs downloaded updates. Not sure which ones got downloaded, but I suspect maybe a .NET issue, bc I had all that updated w/ .NET v.3, but it caused Quickbooks Pro 2009 to crash, so had to roll back to .NET v.2 w/ all updates/patches (talk about a PITA). Had been running w/ no prob, installed some updates selectively avoiding the .NET v.3 and had no prob. But this last time, it all went on autopilot (even though I hadn't changed anything... so I'm thinking MS pushed it), and ever since that set of updates, I get BSOD @ startup, can't get past it via any of the safe modes or last known good config, can't get to C prompt.

Error message contents:

BAD_POOL_CALLER
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xD1311000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Then it does the physical dump of memory
BIOS on this laptop is limited at best; it is not possible to disable caching/shadowing. There was no new HW installed, and the only new SW has been the Windows Updates.

FWIW, the 2nd string w/in the parenthesis varies depending on which option I take from the F8 list of load options. 0xD1311000 is displayed when doing last known good cfg option. 0xC62D1000 is displayed when trying to load safe mode.

Tried MS tech support website, found a procedure to get a hotfix, but I can't load the OS to install a hotfix, so what the rock...and MS is the culprit anyway. :)

(Of course, this would only happen when I'm crunching for a deadline, and the most recent backup attempt had failed, so the only source of data for the last 30 days is on the laptop that BSOD bad_ pool_caller, loop ad infinitum. :) )

Would greatly appreciate assistance.

Happy New Year,

Rinnie

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
download rc.iso....from here..then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
[deletia]

Edited by Rinnie, 01 January 2010 - 07:28 PM.

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
[deletia] - see below

Edited by Rinnie, 01 January 2010 - 07:28 PM.

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I got the CD burned, booted from it, hit R, and it can't find the HDD - must be a RAID driver issue...? BIOS sees the HDD, and when I used Puppy Linux to copy some data files to USB, Puppy Linux saw the HDD... What do I do to get RC to see it?

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I pressed F6 for SCSI / RAID, then S for SCSI or special disk controllers. I don't have a floppy drive for it to locate a driver, though. If I put the driver on USB stick, will that work? (Assuming I can find a driver for it...? It's not the HDD that was in the original config of the laptop, but was installed as an upgrade in 2008 to get more space.)

HDD is Toshiba mk2546gsx. I can't find a RAID driver for it on the internet. SATA drivers are per the chipset - I know next to nothing about RAID though (and now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a bad idea to use RAID cfg anyway) -- I don't know whether to use the driver for the chipset or the only driver I'm finding on internet search (since Toshiba has nothing) which doesn't say anything about RAID or other controller..... Excuse me, my ignorance is showing...

Edited by Rinnie, 01 January 2010 - 09:49 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
in order to use any form of RAID you must have at least 2 hard drives...
did you use burncdcc to burn the rc.iso...it HAS to be burned as a image

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yep, used burncdcc, burned rc.iso as image, no problem. Laptop booted from it just fine. It just didn't see the RAID HDD.
I have a couple of extra drives, but the latest one imaged is from 4/2008 (slacker). I have a drive cage w/ USB cnx and 4 unoccupied USB ports.
Hey...backup...hang on - I'm not sure it's really a RAIDed drive. It was just a single drive we were imaging and swapping out back in the day, and if it had been RAIDed, it wouldn't have worked to image it to a single drive, right? I've been saying it's RAID bc that's what the BIOS says. ....??

Edited by Rinnie, 02 January 2010 - 08:23 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what happens once you have booted from the cd just type in chkdsk /r and press enter

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
After booting from CD, I can't get to a prompt to type... booted from it, hit R, then can't do the rest of what you said bc the prompt doesn't come up.

Advertisements

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Something is really, really weird. Now it won't boot from CD even though the BIOS sees the CD and it did boot from the very same CD yesterday. Additionally, the traditionally black screen with white text that displays the choices provided by F8 are now showing random cursor-shaped/-sized blocks of color behind some letters; some characters are substituted with other characters, and there are pixel-sized flecks of color blinking randomly around the screen.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you get a digital camera and get a screenshot of it for us...

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sure. Here ya go. The flecks of color aren't stagnant. Think random blinking Christmas lights - it's like that - a few flecks here and there, and about every second or two the flecks randomly change location and color on the screen.
Correction: I missed the prompt to press any key to boot from CD. :) When I hit a key, it DID boot from CD today (mea culpa).

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_7205small.JPG
  • DSC_7195small.JPG

Edited by Rinnie, 03 January 2010 - 09:12 AM.

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
RE: RC.iso -- Here's the screen shot of the error message. FWIW, XP Pro is what came installed on the laptop, not sure if using XP HE repair might conflicting...?

Adding a screen shot of one of the character replacements, too...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_7202small.JPG
  • DSC_7207small.JPG

Edited by Rinnie, 03 January 2010 - 09:47 AM.

Rinnie

Rinnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
:) :) :) ummmmm....?

FWIW, those color flecks and colored cursors and character replacements do NOT happen when I boot from the Puppy Linux CD. So, I'm thinking it must be SW/OS related, not HW - deducing that if the video card or screen was going bad, it would be a flaky display no matter what's running or how it booted.

Edited by Rinnie, 03 January 2010 - 09:42 PM.