Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No boot Win XP

• Please log in to reply

Waffle

Waffle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, never posted one of these before but then again never had any major problems that I couldn't fix. Here it goes.

A few days ago I was on my computer doing my usual business, conferencing a group of friends on Skype. Went to go turn on a game, a very simple one at that ( Gunbound ). Which has to be one of the games that require none other than a crappy computer just to run. So I'm not so worried about my spec's being too low. Well any who when I went to initiate the game my computer shut down, didn't over clock or anything or I would have seen it most likely. So I waited a few minutes before turning the computer back on. Turned it on, no boot.

This is what I gather so far:

Plug the power cord into the main jack, it powers on.
Cannot shut the tower off manually by the power button.
HDD activity light is solid amber.
PSU fan runs, so does the heat sink fan over the core.
DVD and CD drives don't function, nothing opens.
LED lights power on keyboard but no input apparently.

I've tried trouble shooting as far as I possibly could with my basic knowledge:

Figured maybe it's my memory, tried the eraser end on the gold plating and nothing.

Tried resetting the CMOS both ways removing the pin cover over P1 and P2 and back, negative charging with the battery itself etc, nothing resulted.

Switched the memory to the second slot, nothing.

Checked around to make sure none of the capacitors were blown or had leaked, poked around all the ports and prongs nothing bent out of place, everything seemed fine.

I even bought a new PSU thinking maybe it's not distributing the power correctly, and the same results as my old PSU.

Then after that I tried other HDD's I have laying around with the new PSU which is an Antec Basiq 350 WATT 20+4 pin. When I did that to the other HDD's three of them are regular old IBM's and another with SATA connectors, the HDD activity light was off completely no blinking amber or green light nothing solid.

My computer is a factory setting E-Machine W3052 model with Windows XP Pro installed, the only thing that has been added into it would be the extra CD drive nothing more.

Hoping someone can give me an answer as to how I can boot up my computer once again, please help and thank you for reading as I know it is.. quite a bit. lol

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Do you get any post beeps from the BIOS at switch-on? These vary in length and sequence to help you identify the problem hardware by referring to a published list of codes specific to the manufacturer of the BIOS chip on your PC (eg Award, AMI etc.).

No beeps at all could mean something on the main board has 'died'.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 01 January 2010 - 01:17 PM.

Waffle

Waffle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nah I listened for beeps, nothing to be heard so far these past days I've been playing around with it.