Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank blue screen

• Please log in to reply

ubonline

ubonline

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, when I turn on my computer I get a blank blue screen. When I try to start in safe mode or safe mode with command prompt, I get a black screen with "safe mode" on the bottom left and right, and can't go any further. I also tried to restore to previous configuration, and get blank blue screen. I tried using the windows XP CD, and get the same blank blue screen. Any other suggestions, or is the computer hopeless?

Advertisements

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
This is a serious problem, and for your (AND your files' sake), you have to solve it externally - from another computer.

First, how the error started? Last time the computer worked fine, responded to every command, and when you turned it on next day, it just crashed all of a sudden?
Perhaps there were error messages, critical system halts, or malfunctions earlier, before this blank blue screen crash happened. If the computer malfunctioned earlier before, you might want to share with us what you experienced.

Then let's verify the BIOS setup of yours. If you computer manages to boot, and you can enter the setup, you should start looking for problems there. I don't know your hardware-software configurations, but if something have been changed in the BIOS lately, most likely this causes the problem.

If the error just came out of nowhere without any signs, it will be a harder nut to crack. Since you can't start your machine, no matter what, this means, you can't save your files, make repairs or anything else. Therefore you shall need a secondary computer for the repairs. Grab a screwdriver, and take out your hard drive, then connect it to another computer. Saving your data is the highest priority, so you gonna have to do it anywayz. Then, you should also make a scan for malicious softwares.

If nothing is found, and your files are safe, I suggest a complete format, and a full system reinstall. The "clean sheet" tactic works 99% of these cases.

If your system still has this problem after a complete reinstall, your problem might be hardware-related, for example, CPU overheating.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the screen actually turning blue or is it flashing very fast? It does make a difference in the problem you may be experiencing.

ubonline

ubonline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Reactor:
The computer is older and has been showing signs of dying for a while. The most recent change I made was my Anitivir would not update, so I used the following from the Antivir forums. I can't say for sure if this is the cause of the problem, or just the straw that broke the camel's back:

Ok, please follow these instructions:-

- open a command prompt and type the following command:
netsh winsock reset
- restart the computer. This is very important
- go to Control panel -> Add/Remove programs -> select AntiVir Premium and then press Change. Select Modify and Next button until Finish
- restart the computer again. This is very important

This should reset the LSP stack, and renew AntiVir's LSP.

rschaffer61:
Just plain blue, no flashing, like it is one step from the login screen and won't go there.

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
If your computer is older, and had several malfunctions before crashing eventually, you should look for hardware failures too, like the capacitors around the CPU. If their top is nice and smooth, no problems. However, if their top is lumpy as it'd hatch, then you'll need to grab a new motherboard - FAST.

Also take the motherboard's battery into account. If it has never been replaced, a fresh battery could be your remedy.

In case none of these signs of dying were hardware-related, then only a format C will help, as you can't log in to your system.

Edited by Reactor, 01 January 2010 - 01:48 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's try a experiment to see if it is the OS or the hardware. Download the following program and run it. Make sure to change the boot sequence in your bios to the cdrom being the first boot device. Puppy loads into memory only and does not use the HD or the OS system. If BSOD happens then it is a hardware issue. If not then we need to look into software issues. I'm only interested in if the BSOD happens with the puppy linux. If it stays on then I would suggest following the rest of the instructions to backup your data to make sure it is safe.
Get Puppy Linux from my signature below...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

ubonline

ubonline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Reactor, capacitors look fine, just put in a new battery and no change (although I got to the blank blue screen faster!)

On to rshaffer61's suggestions, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and please get your data backed up so that you know it is safe.

ubonline

ubonline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
OK, puppy linux worked, thanks! Next I'll backup, but might not get to this for a while.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and please let us know if you get a blue screen anytime during the backup. This is very important to know.

Advertisements

ubonline

ubonline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Everything saved without problem. What should I do next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now let's run a couple of test to check some things.
This will help determine the extent of the problem. I see you have a XP cd and hopefully it is the one you used to load the system with. It is a Genuine Microsoft XP Installation cd correct?

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I'm glad to hear that your hardware is fine :) It seems your battery was feeling a little low too.
I was concerned about the capacitors, as I had a frighteningly similar incident before the capacitors around the CPU hatched like rotten eggs.

Keep in mind that you should make a system backup DVD in every 6 months, like I do. You know...installer files, your documents, and everything which is important. You might NEVER know when you need it :)

ubonline

ubonline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Reactor, thanks!

rshaffer61,
Yes, it is genuine XP CD from when I bought computer. Did everything, now I have a blue screen with big cursor that looks like safe mode, can't get past it. Should I restart (which means I need to unplug computer)?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You don't have a reset button or can you push and hold the power button for 5 seconds?
This usually will shut the system down.
Did you get to the point of entering bios and changing the boot sequence?
How far did you get into the instructions?