Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Magic jack

• Please log in to reply

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hello all I was just wondering if any of yous have or had tried MagicJack. (I know there is a post on this already but it is back from aprilish, so I want to see if anyone new has tried it)

We currently only have cell phones in the house and have unlimited evenings(6pm to 6am) and weekends and 300 daytime miniutes that we split 3 ways. We also get free Sasktel to Sasktel cell phone calling anytime. This system works good but it sucks during the day if you have to call some where. That is why when I seen MagicJack I thought I would get it but want to hear from you guys. (preferably people from Canada)

Theses are the cons I know of, pc has to be on, slows your pc down when in use, internet on, advertisments
Theses are the pros I know cost (60 bucks to buy then 20 bucks a year), anytime local and long distance calling to usa and canada.

Any thoughts will be helpful.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything you state is almost true.
My daughter and son both have magic jacks connected to their systems and they see no difference in their speeds.
Yes you do have to have your system on to have it working.
The prices seem to be in line with what they are here.
I can't speak for Canada but it does work great here. My kids use it all the time and it does have a forwarding feature if you wanted to forward the calls temporarily to a cell phone.
Advertisements I haven't heard anything from my kids about it.

Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 28 posts
I think it pretty good, guess I used it 7-8 months now, but only off and on. Just hooked it up when I needed it.

BG

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
I don't know if you ever went with MagicJack but my personal opinion is that it is AMAZING. My brother runs it on his less-than-average box and gets no lag. He has his own phoneline for virtually nothing (it's SO cheap since it's voip), and also has virtually no downsides if you're an owner of it, except the fact your computer has to be running and networked. Recommended :)

Edited by imafool4u, 04 February 2010 - 11:22 PM.

gavery

gavery

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've had mine for several years now .Had a tough time installing it , although it hadn't been out long. Great tech support via live chat works great now . They run a five year deal for $70 . I do recomend it .

GearJamminSob

GearJamminSob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm from Canada as well and have been using MJ for about a week. For the most part I love it, I don't think I would attribute any problems with my ststem to it. I used to pay forty bucks a month for a land line; Half of that was features that are free with MJ, so I encourage people to call that number and have dropped services from my lanline and pay $20/month less than I used to for phone service (I'll keep the landline because 911 isn't available in Canada yet with MJ, and in case the power goes out). In my experience call quality rivals that of a land line, and I have a lot more features than I used to that don't cost anything (I love the ability to do things from my PC as opposed to using the phone's controls - saving a number as a contact after a call is very convenient, for example). Calling is free throughout Canada and the US (which is the calling plan I used to pay for) and so is voice mail; If someone callse when your PC is off, you can check that message from any internet connection as it goes to you e-mail. The only problem I ever have, to this point, is sometimes when there is a lot of demand on my PC's resources (such as when a RAM hog of a program is loading), the other person's voice stutters - this usually lasts about a second or three. Other than that I was unimpressed with the quallity of customer service, but only chatted twice so far. So far I find it's a pretty amazing product.

mrgrumpy0119

mrgrumpy0119

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've used MagicJack for about a year now. I currently own 3 of those babies. One I use for my main phone line at home, the other one I used for my work (I work from home) and the third one I send it to my mother in Ecuador.

I have no complains on the service and the quality of the voice, setup is easy, only $20 a year! heck yeah!!! unlimited calls in the US and Canada and the best part, I don't have to pay for long distance to Ecuador anymore, I live in Arizona and send one of the MJ (already activated and preconfigured of course) to my mother in Ecuador, she has a number from the US so she can call me and I can call her at any time from any phone in the US and is like a local phone call! amazing! I even have her number added to my favorites in my cell so even when I call her from my cell or she calls me to my cell I don't use my minutes!

Excellent product, I strongly recommend it.

Edited by mrgrumpy0119, 28 February 2010 - 03:12 PM.

JJR96x

JJR96x

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah I've got it, I guess I'll just say it's pretty good (and cheap) and I would suggest it to anyone who asks.

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
My 80 year old grandma uses it successfully. If she can figure out how to use it and manage to communicate through it effectively I'd have to assume its a solid device.