Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cros4t

cros4t

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have a pavilion 751n. My power supply fan broke a few months back so I replaced it with a standard fan (not the one for the pavilion). Now the fan was not exactly the right size (too big), so I had to adjust. It worked ok for a while, but now I get the error message "CPU fan not working properly. Service Immediately" Sometimes I can get it to come on, but often it still shuts off. Just worth mentioning, I have also replaced the fan on the motherboard a while ago with one that doesn't "stick" (the newer one is metal. Could that be part of the problem? Will I have to try to get the HP fan? Right now the CPU is laying on it's side.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-cros4t - HP Pavillion CPU Fan (1-2-2010)

Cros4t – Welcome to Geeks to Go

I had to adjust. It worked ok for a while

–

• How old is PC
• Where did you obtain CPU Fan?
• What Voltage is this fan?
• What

adjust

did you make?
• How long is

awhile

that it worked?
• How is it mounted - -Which way/direction is Air flow - - In or Out of heatsink?? It should be forcing air down thru the heatsink toward CPU & forcing the air out thru the sides -

I have also replaced the fan on the motherboard

-
• Was fan mounted on Motherboard Chipset Heatsink ?
• What voltage is this fan?
• How is it connected? Describe connector – Is it connected to Motherboard Fan Connector or
Connected directly to a Power Supply Connector –

I am interested in viewing your motherboard - - -Can you take a photo & post it? Take a closeup of CPU Fan & Motherboard Fan ??

Is this your motherboard?
http://h10025.www1.h...n...570&lang=en

If not Can you locate part Number / Model Number – Manufacturer & Post

Fan / cooling info
http://www.antec.com..._computing.html

Below is Antec Cooling Link – You should be able to select the correct fan –
Cooling Links -
http://www.antec.com...php?Series=MTM=

Fans are defined by size – 80mm 120mm etc

Also is your CPU Heatsink/Fan Assembly clogged with DUST – does it look like this?? The gray stuff inside fan
Is a large amount of Clogging Dust – Fan will stall if it cannot pass the air thru !!!

Classic CPU Fan Clogged with Dust -

Jack123

dmigg_Fan_3.jpg

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Purchased the computer in 2002. I bought a refurbished HP power supply fan in late '05 / early '06, installed it myself. This was shortly after purchasing and installing a metal heatsink(?), which was an upgrade. By the way, the old fan was glued to the motherboard, the current one can't be as it is metal. The pc has worked fine until recently. In late November / early December of '09 I bought a power supply fan (my computer was constantly overheating). Because it was not made for a pavilion, but was a standard (purchased at Computer Renassaince, the local computer store) size, which meant it was too big for my tower. Tried to return it to the store, was told they would not take it back without a substantial fee. Man at the store said if I moved the CD/DVD drives forward, the fan would fit (the plastic face would have to be removed. I did that and it worked for a month. Now, my computer constantly cuts off, if it even lets me log on. Not sure of the voltages of the fans. That is my motherboard in the picture. So the plug in for the supply fan is where the pic shows it. I can't get the picture to upload off my phone. I am still quite the novice at fixing my pc. Just too cheap to pay to get it fixed.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-cros4t- HP Pavillion CPU Fan (1-2-2010)

Cros4T –
I am not sure which fan you are referring to – You talk about a power supply fan – but seem to be describing the CPU Fan –

You also mentioned purchasing a Heatsink - - -which implies CPU - - -

The criteria that you need for a CPU Fan- - -is to know the - -
• CPU Socket Type
• CPU Model
• Motherboard MFR – Model

Do you have any of the Specifications of PC - - - or an Overview of the PC which is HP751N ---Is that correct
I tried searching for some data on your PC - - -but 2002 HP Pavillion 751N - - - is too old . . . except for a few
Websites that have rebuilt items. . . but it is still a guess . . . If you can find any of the above info - -
Please include in your next Post --

The most common problem with a PC that freezes up - - - after 3 -5 years - - -is the accumulation of heavy dust
That gets packed in the Heatsink assembly - - -and prevents the fan to push the air down thru the heatsink assembly to cool the CPU . . . You need to pull the Fan Off - - -And blow out the dust in the heatsink assembly using a can cleaning duster - - - You just need to keep the can upright as you spray - - - turning the can upside down - - -
Will emit moist air (water) - - which will cause another problem -- - You need to turn the PC around as you spray- - -
Then reinstall fan assembly - making sure --proper airflow --into the heatsink --
and no pinching of the wires - -and connect to proper motherboard CPU Connection ---

Remove your Tower Side Case - - Obtain a medium size House Fan- - -and have facing so that its airflow is blowing into the CPU Heatsink assembly - -- - The additional cooling should help - - -

If you can do those 2 things - - -you may cool it down enough to run the PC

Then if you can ….. Download Speedfan from the following website

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Download Speedfan & install in PC .-----This is a utility that will measure your Temperatures – Voltages – and display them on your Monitor - - This way you can see your problem --- Normal Temps should be 28C to 48C
Also Room Ambient Temperature has an effect on Overheating --- Please post your Results (TEMPs & Voltage)

Now if you can find the info that I asked for . . ..I can ask for some of other techs ---to help with proper
CPU heatsink & Fan Assembly . . .

Jack123

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yes, I did clean the inside fans, etc. I actually tried that first. It turns out I really did need a new CPU fan. I was able to find one, installed it and now the system works fine. Thanks again. I will replace this dinosaur one day. Right now, I'll let the kids have it. Thanks for all of your help.