Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

good design?

• Please log in to reply

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok i have a website that i coded myself. well i use dreamweaver cs4 as my editor, and it leaves a box around my paragraph describing my website. the only problom with that is that i want to put a back ground up, and it only shows up on about 2" on all sides, and i want it to go under the words (as an actioul background would) and i want to know how to do this.
thanks to anyone that could help =) my site is www.kitkin15.tk

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't see any background image at http://www.kitkin15.tk/ . You do have many critical HTML coding errors. No frameset doctype on your frameset page.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
what do you mean HTML errors?
and im sorry i should have told you that i dont have a back ground. the background appears where the blue coloring is. and you see where my site displays words? well the color stops there...and i dont want it to. i wnat my background to be in the background of everything (except my logo)

and by the way, ia m sorry about the colors. i know they look stupid but i know that if i went to a site with darker colors on it, and they were trying to get me to download something...i wouldnt compleatly trust them. i would try it, but not trust them. i know that most people would exit out right away...so bright colors makes it easier to trust

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
All the site's presentation is handled by the CSS file. This is the color for your background now: background: #666666; . That is styled for the body tag. It DOES cover the whole page.

Your header background color is styled like this: background: #DDDDDD; . That's for the selector names: .twoColHybRtHdr #header

The container where your text is has the white background: background: #FFFFFF;. That's for the selector names: .twoColHybRtHdr #container

So, are you saying that you want the container color the same blue color? If so, edit the CSS file and change background: #FFFFFF; to background: #DDDDDD;.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
no

ok in about 5 minutes i will have my homepage upadted. i am going to put a picture up, i want this picture to take up the WHOLE page, including the white that is under my text. i dont know how to get rid of the white coloring and put a background underneth it (if i can do this i will change the color of the text, just letting you know)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Change:

.twoColHybRtHdr #container {
background: #FFFFFF;
}

to

.twoColHybRtHdr #container {
background: transparent;
}

That will allow you to see your background image through the content container. Whether the picture you use for the page takes up the whole page depends on several factors. Many people make them way to large causing the browser to trigger both verical and horizontal scroll bars. There are coding methods to make a smaller image fill the background in all browsers.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok now i have a background (the pic of my and my girlfriend) this was the easiest to get, the pic im going to put up i dont have yet (i need to scan it first).

now what im looking for is to have one big pic(kind of like a myspace layout) and for it to cover the whole screen. as you see my background is many of the same picture, and that dosent look that good.

www.kitkin15.tk so you dont have to look at the top for the link.
my real domain is kitkin15.webege.com incase you need that

thanks so much for helping, it means alot that you take your time out to help me.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're certainly welcome. The browsers' default action is to tile images when used as a background unless you code it to do otherwise.

You still have a lot of coding errors which will need correcting if you want to try to be cross-browser compatible.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok thanks =) and how can i fix those errors?

i use DreamWeaver CS$ as my editor, and that puts some words in the code, that might be what your talking about. but im not sure

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
All those errors are explained one by one at the validator:

For page at http://kitkin15.webege.com/ - 47+ errors

For page at http://www.kitkin15.tk/ without page http://kitkin15.webege.com/ loaded:

4 HTML errors for the frameset page. You will have to input the frameset code only into the validator's Direct Input. Make sure Verbose box is checked.

All errors and explanations will be give, I can't correct all those as I do not have the time right now, but can guide you through the ones you don't get corrected. Sometimes, once you've made a correction, many other errors flagged are cleared up, too.

Advertisements

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ohhhhh i compleatly forgot that XHTML is case sensitive. i thought it was HTML so it didnt matter...lol
but i can fix all that. thanks soooooo MUCH for your help. you have really helped me. and thanks for that validator's direct imput, i am definatly going to use that more often.

if i do end up having probloms i will make a new post
thanks agin for all your help, and if my site can help you than please go to it, i just added new portable apps, and i think their VERY good.
just sayin, i am not spamming the boards, i am just trying to help you sence you helped me.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
oh sorry, but i do have one question.
what size should pictures be for backgrounds? if its different for different sites, than can you tell me how to find that out?

i know this might be hard to anser, but thats for all youve done

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You are very welcome. It's best to keep background images to the expected browser window size of your viewers. The image should be fast loading. Usually images that can be tiled are good although images around 800x600 or so can be made to fill a full size browser window using some CSS tricks.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
thanks =)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Give a shout here if you need more help with related topic.