Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck at Windows Logo - Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

IRay

IRay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My computer was running fine until a power surge hit our house and caused everything to flicker, just enough to cause the computer to reset, yes they are on surge protectors. When the computer rebooted I was greeted by the Windows XP login screen despite having automatic login enabled, then a popup, "You must activate windows before logging in" or something similar. I clicked yes and it shows my background then returns to the login screen with same popup, I say no and it says "saving settings" and returns me to the log in. So I reboot into safemode and get "you cannot activate windows in safemode" and it reboots when I click ok. I pull the network cable and reboot and get the same loop of "activate".

So, I think I did the most harm here. I googled similar experiences and someone mentioned that if you have the XP cd and use "deploy" you can make it like when it comes from the factory so you get 30 days to activate and I'd be able to get into standard windows to activate my copy. boots surprisingly fine into safe mode where I do exactly as the directions from the internet, after running sysprep (selected factory) it boots into XP and I'm greeted to the blue screen with the logo, just before the user login. I reset and go to last good configuration, same window; safe mode, same window but large screen resolution. put in XP CD again and boot to CD to do a repair install (not recovery console), runs fine gets through, greeted to same "activate" loop. ran something else, think from UBCD4Win to revert to older registry (from fresh install 11/16/09), back to the blue logo screen. attempt to repair install again, gets stuck at 35 minutes "installing devices" with or without network cable, computer isn't froze can hit shift+F10 and access control prompt. I ran recovery console after this and fixboot which stopped making windows try to reinstall and got me back to my logo screen (blue just before user login).

where do I go from here?

the other issue is because I installed the OS's with Ubuntu first and then XP, my MBR or GRUB were messed up and I don't get the option of booting into Ubuntu, it autoboots into XP. I tried to install GRUB from a liveCD but was worried since I was locked out of Windows I might mess up the partition and lose data.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to restore to an earlier date using recovery console:

* At the prompt Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd system~1\_resto~1
* Press Enter
* Type: dir
* Press Enter

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key untill you reach the end of the list

* Type: cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list). Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
* Press Enter
* Type: cd snapshot
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd windows\system32\config
* Press Enter
* Type: ren system system.bak
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC should reboot

If you still cannot get access in anyway to your installation in the recovery console then your SAM database files are corrupt. There is no way you can restore these with the recovery console. You may need to do a fresh install.

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I cannot access the root menu. typing "cd" or "chdir" leads me back to "C:\Windows\>", if I attempt to change directories to say "C:\documents and settings\" or "\program files\" I receive an "access is denied" error.

I tried to bypass the main part and go directly to "C:\system~\_resto~1\" but it said path did not exist.

ran "chkdsk /p" and it came back with "found some errors", ran it again and it comes back as "chkdsk has finished" assuming there are no errors.

I'm going to try to reboot now since apparently checkdisk changed something...nope, no difference.

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I cannot access the root menu. typing "cd" or "chdir" leads me back to "C:\Windows\>", if I attempt to change directories to say "C:\documents and settings\" or "\program files\" I receive an "access is denied" error.

I tried to bypass the main part and go directly to "C:\system~\_resto~1\" but it said path did not exist.

ran "chkdsk /p" and it came back with "found some errors", ran it again and it comes back as "chkdsk has finished" assuming there are no errors.

I'm going to try to reboot now since apparently checkdisk changed something...nope, no difference.

I'm currently booted up into UBCD4Win, let me know what I need to do.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Run chkdsk /r.

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Run chkdsk /r.

ran with no errors reported

fixmbr in recovery console

still stuck at same screen

another issue I'm having is I can't get a SCSI (or is it raid?) driver in UBCD4Win (BartPE) to move all my data from my IDE primary harddrive to my Sata 1 TB drive (no sata connections on motherboard) the only thing I'm really dreading is re-patching my games...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Honestly, my feeling is that trying to fix this operating system is a waste of time. Backup your data, reformat and reinsrall. To backup your data use Puppy Linux or another of these endless Linux "flavors" that run from the RAM. Alternatively, you can take the hard disk out, rig it as slave to another computer and bacup the data there.

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Honestly, my feeling is that trying to fix this operating system is a waste of time. Backup your data, reformat and reinsrall. To backup your data use Puppy Linux or another of these endless Linux "flavors" that run from the RAM. Alternatively, you can take the hard disk out, rig it as slave to another computer and bacup the data there.

I'm going to do exactly that, I don't care anymore. thanks for the help, this can now be locked.

paga6

paga6

• Pip
  • 2 posts
wait, please don't go away or lock this...I have been working for dayssssss on this issue. My IBM desktop got the internet security 2010 virus and I ran McAffee to remove...not sure if that's what caused my problem but also have had problems with the mouse and keyboard sporadically responding as well as the computer not shutting down properly...ok, that being said, I tried to do a repair install and get stuck on 35 minutes to complete the set up. I cannot start windows normally or in safe mode, I just get the loop of "windows is starting"...then "saving your settings". Try's to start then just shuts down. So here I am, with 35 minutes left in the reinstall and I can't get past it. I can get to the f10 cmd prompt and have tried to run setupapi.log and then delete the inf file that was one of the last on the list...no help. I even deleted one that looked similar because I am desparate. I know, I know, bad idea. I read the earlier help that you provided but the difference is, I don't know how to get back to the recovery console like Iray did
"computer isn't froze can hit shift+F10 and access control prompt. I ran recovery console after this and fixboot which stopped making windows try to reinstall and got me back to my logo screen (blue just before user login).

paga6

paga6

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ooops, i hit the space bar and it posted before I was done...my last words were, PLEASE HELP!! thank you. :)

Let me add, I'm trying not to lose the data unless it is unavoidable. :0