Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UK Digital TV Switchover Questions

• Please log in to reply

Warthog01

Warthog01

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi

I'm facing analog switch-off in the next couple months and have a number of questions I'd like to consider before I make some bad decisions.

I have an old, but extremely capable Sony TV, but it has no SCART fitting. I know there are digi boxes out there (TVonics, etc) that I can use to set up Freeview or similar, but I'd also like to be able to record programmes after switchover. My current DVD recorder is a Liteon LVW 5006--can I connect this to the telly as I do now via the TVonics or similar?

If not, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced method of getting around my SCARTless TV so I can both view and record in future?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Well this is wrong forum for anything not computer-related, but I'll offer any advice I can since this is obviously a genuine request for help.

Nearly everything you connect to a tv these days requires either a scart socket or a/v connectors (red, white and yellow pin jacks), so I don't think you'll be able to escape having to buy a new tv, many of which have a Freeview tuner built-in anyway so less cable clutter to worry about. You can buy Freeview boxes which plug into the aerial socket of a tv instead of using scart - they would get around your problem if you can find one.

If you intend to record from Freeview channels, whether now or after the switchover when analogue is broadcasting is finally switched off, your recorder will need to have a Freeview tuner built-in too. Without that, the only way you'd be able to record a Freeview program is by connecting the recorder input scart to the the scart socket or a/v jacks on a Freeview television, but the television would actually have to be kept switched on during the recording because when you switch the tv off you are effectively switching all it's connectors off as well -- no output signal. This requirement for leaving the tv switched on whilst recording from it presents a safety hazard when no-one's at home or whilst you're asleep, and is using more electricity than would be used if you had a recorder with it's own Freeview tuner.

I hope this has been useful to you.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 02 January 2010 - 08:47 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi

I'm facing analog switch-off in the next couple months and have a number of questions I'd like to consider before I make some bad decisions.

I have an old, but extremely capable Sony TV, but it has no SCART fitting. I know there are digi boxes out there (TVonics, etc) that I can use to set up Freeview or similar, but I'd also like to be able to record programmes after switchover. My current DVD recorder is a Liteon LVW 5006--can I connect this to the telly as I do now via the TVonics or similar?

If not, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced method of getting around my SCARTless TV so I can both view and record in future?

Thanks

Unfortunately SCART enabled equipment is pretty much a necessity these days rather than a luxury.
Freeview boxes are mostly all SCART. Most DVD Recorders, Players and anything else is SCART capable. The Blu Ray and High Definition stuff uses HDMI which is an entirely different thing and just for DVD playback of Blu Ray discs it just connects straight into the back of the telly, no questions asked.

A standard aerial comes in via your RF In socket, which is the little round socket. So far as Freeview is concerned you use your existing aerial (in 95% of cases you don't need a new aerial and if you're in a good coverage area and high enough up an indoor aerial is adequate) which goes into the back of the Freeview box and usually comes out SCART which goes into the back of the telly.

If you have other devices in the chain such as a video recorder or a DVD player the signal has to pass through all of these in order to record anything. Typically in days of old RF cables would do this and while some devices do still have them, this is being phased out in favour of SCART too.

Typically you'd have Aerial -> Freeview Box -> DVD Recorder -> TV. However the benefit of a SCART setup is that the TV switches directly to that source when you use it. So you switch your Freeview box on, TV goes to Freeview. Turn the Blu Ray on, TV goes to HDMI. Turn the recorder on and TV goes to DVD Recorder. Feeding the signal through multiple devices degrades it whereas with SCART you're getting better picture quality.

To solve your particular problem it's probably not going to be possible without SCART support. Ideally the best solution is a TV set with built-in Freeview on its own, then you can simply connect a £20 Freeview box from Tesco up from SCART to your DVD Recorder. Tune the box in to what you want to record and then you can watch another Freeview channel using the tuner on the Freeview set while it's recording. Otherwise it will be two separate boxes which would be a really clumsy way of doing it.

It might be a good telly you have now but the more modern TVs are more power efficient, have more connectors and have a much better picture. The TVonics MFR-200 which I presume you were looking at is nearly £40. Going on the basis you can replace the entire telly with one currently on offer at Argos for £60 and have a built-in DVD player as well as a SCART socket, I'd argue TVonics is a last-resort solution.

Warthog01

Warthog01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Phillip & Neil

Thanks to both of you for replying. All useful information and I'm getting additional from other sources as well--I'm sure there's a solution to this--just a matter of finding it!