Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you change which hard disk iTunes song are saved to?

• Please log in to reply

loopyloo422

loopyloo422

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I was wondering if there was any way of changing the hard disk that my songs on iTunes are saved to. I have two hard disks (C:) and (D:). (C:) is full and (D:) is almost empty. The songs are automatically saved to (C:) but i have no room for anymore songs. Can I change where they are saved to?

PS. I have vista if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Edited by loopyloo422, 02 January 2010 - 03:53 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I don't use iTunes myself, but can't you manually move the files to the 'D' drive using copy/paste?
If you change the view of the files in the folder windows to 'Details' in the menu-bar, they will be listed all in a single column. Then single-click the top one, hold down 'Shift' key and single-click the last one. They should all now be highlighted. Right-click and choose 'Copy', open an empty folder on 'D' drive, right-click and choose 'Paste'.

You can now delete the original ones on the 'C' drive. Just keep doing that every few weeks to move new music files from 'C' to 'D'

Incidentally, it's not good to let the 'C' drive get full or nearly full as it will slow Windows down. It needs empty space to swap data in and out of ram when the ram fills up during every Windows session. See if there's anything else you can move to the 'D' drive, though obviously moving applications needs a different approach. What you can do to move applications is uninstall them first, then re-install them on 'D' when the installer asks you where to install. Either that or get a new disk with a higher capacity.