Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer monitor problems

• Please log in to reply

TrevorAndSara

TrevorAndSara

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a dell desk top computer that is about 3-4 years old. Over the past 6 months I've had 4 different monitors stop working with this computer. Each time I go and get a new one (2 were gently used 2 were brand new) and every time it will work for about a month or so then I'll notice it'll flash on and off occassionally but just a quick flash then out of no where it won't turn on anymore. The green light will turn on but no picture. At first I thought it was the monitor but after the 4th monitor I'm starting to think it may be something else. Please help, I cannot afford to go through so many monitors!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Your PC graphics card only supplies a video signal to the monitor, whereas what you describe seems to be power-related. Is your house electric supply subject to frequent power surges (also known as 'spikes')? You can counter that by plugging your next monitor (and all your other pc stuff) into a multi-socket surge protected extension lead (Belkin is the most popular brand for surge protected mains extension leads).

TrevorAndSara

TrevorAndSara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Everything is plugged into a surge protector.