Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

InstallShield Installer Corrupted

• Please log in to reply

KTwig

KTwig

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, before I describe the true problem, here's the back story. I got an unofficial copy of the Sims 3 a few days before it was released. I've been playing it like crazy, but it was a bit glitchy and I wanted to install the new expansion (that I actually bought) so I decided to uninstall it. The computer didn't like that. I've got a legit copy of Sims 3 now (collector's edition) but my installshield is corrupted.

When installing my new Sims 3, I get a the message:

File: C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8}\
Error: The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I've tried manually uninstalling the Sims, but nothing seems to be working. Could I get some help repairing my InstallShield?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I don't think it's Installshield itself which is corrupted, it's the uninstall information for your original installation of Sims 3 which is corrupted.

This is what I would try:

1. Delete the folder specified in the path shown in the error message, which is;
C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8}\

2. Re-install the original (unofficial) copy of Sims 3 if you still have it, which will re-create
the uninstall information for it.

3. Now try uninstalling it again (hopefully the uninstall info won't be corrupt this time).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 03 January 2010 - 10:03 AM.

KTwig

KTwig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When I try to access the InstallShield folder it pops up with this message:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information is not accessible.
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.