Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 XBOXes on same router

• Please log in to reply

rbsander

rbsander

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Im not sure if anyone here can help me or not, but I am fed up searching the web for a way to fix this. It seems others have had this problem yet no one ever follows up to say what happened. Me and my brother each have a xbox360 and our own live accounts. Each one works fine alone, but when we both connect we get disconnected after a few mins. usually one then the other. (Specifically we are playing call of duty MW 2 and it is a linksys BEFW11S4 router) I know the bandwidth is fine and I have tried many things, but am willing to try or retry anything anyone thinks may work. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this, and for your replies.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you sure you aren't trying to run them both with the same IP address? If you go into your system settings and then network settings, do you both have IP address set to "Automatic"?

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 05 January 2010 - 07:22 AM.

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
They are both set to automatic and I have checked when they are both connected the ips are different. Thank you for your reply I look forward to hearing from you again.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
the ip addresses will both be different on the xbox's something along the lines of 192.168.0.3 ect am i right?

I'm sorry i don't have a solution to your problem but i just thouht i'd clear it up for you a bit. You and your borther will both have the same external ip address. By this i mean the ip address you use on the internet (OUTSIDE of your home network) will be the same. This is because it is set by your isp and you can only get one ip address with one phone line.

spud

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes you are correct, and the problem comes in with the router sending the correct info to the correct xbox I believe since all xboxes are set up the same to use the same ports ect. I know it can be done if nothing else I can just get a new router, but would just like o get it working with the current one.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It looks like most people have problems running two Xbox 360's off the same router. You have to remember that both of them will have the same WAN IP address when connected. This means that according to XBL, there is only one Xbox connected so it doesn't know to which Xbox to send the information.

One work around I've seen, although never tried, is to run one in the DMZ and then forward the correct ports to the other Xbox 360. Some say it work and others still report having problems. You'll have to give both Xbox's static IP address for this to work.

I'm assuming your router doesn't support UPnP?

Then again, there is always the option of purchasing a router that is known to handle the "quirks" of running two consoles through one connection.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 05 January 2010 - 08:21 AM.

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It does have UPnP but when I enabled it I did not see a difference in performance.

I tried setting up static IPs for the xboxes but had other connectivity problems I will look into trying that again though with one in DMZ

Thanks again