Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC only turns on in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Master Spade

Master Spade

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
This started about 2 days ago. The last time it started the correct way was in the afternoon on 12-30-09. I turned it off that night, and everthing seemed ok. But the next morning was the first time I've had this problem. It goes to a screen that says I have to choose to either Restore to a previous known time when it worked, or Run in Safe Mode, Run in Safe Mode with Networking, or try to run Windows normally.

I've tried all of those with no success. I'm on here right now in Safe Mode. I was hoping that restoring the PC to a previous state would work, but no.

I checked the Event Log and it says that at 9:57:03 something happened. There's a Warning at that time, this is it - Source:e1express, Event: 27.
That's followed by 2 more events 10 seconds later - Type: Information, Source:tcpip, Event: 4202, --Information, Source:Browser, Event: 8033.

The Event Properties for the first one, the Warning, says this: Description: Intel® PRO/1000 PL Network Connection Link has been disconnected.

My PC runs Windows XP. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
can you run this in safe mode with networking ?

Download Security Check from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Yes, it can start in Safe Mode with Networking. I downloaded that link, opened it, and this came up:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.1
Windows XP Service Pack 3
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Security Center service is not running! This report may not be accurate!
Windows Firewall Disabled!
ESET Online Scanner
McAfee SecurityCenter
McAfee Virtual Technician
Antivirus up to date! (On Access scanning disabled!)
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
Java™ 6 Update 17
Java™ 6 Update 16
Out of date Java installed!
Adobe Flash Player 10
Adobe Reader 9.2
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

DNS Vulnerability Check:

GREAT! (Not vulnerable to DNS cache poisoning)

`````````End of Log```````````
----------------------------------------------
McAfee seems to not be working now either. It says that my PC is currently not "Protected", so like always I click the "Fix" button. That usually fixed the problem, but not now. A box just comes up saying that: "One or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error."

I keep trying to Restore it to a previous point, but it just freezes.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
when did you install mcafee ? It could be causing this problem

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

when did you install mcafee ? It could be causing this problem

I installed McAfee a LONG time ago, and never had problems with it. I have Comcast, so it comes with their internet. Plus, McAfee only started acting up after the PC wouldn't start.

In that report, it says that Windows Firewall is disabled. How can I turn that on?

Thanks.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
you don't want to enable that with mcafee on there

Give Windows Repair a shot

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

you don't want to enable that with mcafee on there

Give Windows Repair a shot

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Quick question before I try that. Today when I tried to start the PC, this came up:

Keyboard Failure
Driver 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1(PRI IDE Slave)
05/02/0: Error allocating Mem BAR for PCI device

Is that useful info? Or just random stuff caused by the problem? Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I am not sure, hopefully one of the techs will understand that better than me.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I am not sure, hopefully one of the techs will understand that better than me.

So should I try that Windows Repair? It sounds scary, since it says that Data may be lost. Do you think I should wait for one of those tech guys?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
try the windows repair, its perfectly safe

I will get a tech to jump in after that step if it doesn't help.

Advertisements

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

try the windows repair, its perfectly safe

I will get a tech to jump in after that step if it doesn't help.

I've now tried 5 times to do that Windows Repair. The first step never happens. I insert the CD, restart the PC, but that message "Press any key to boot from CD" never comes up. So I go to the section at the bottom for "Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD". I have a Dell so I press F2 to enter Setup. I changed the Boot Order, as the CDROM was in 4th place which was Last. I rearranged it so that the CDROM would be ahead of the Hard Drive, like the article says. It's now in 2nd place just behind floppy drive like in the Example. But that "Press any key to boot from CD" message still doesn't appear. Why?
The only thing that comes up is that Black screen that says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start"

What now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi Master Spade... I was asked to take a look by Rorschach112 and offer some help. let's chekc this a little more.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

chavi

chavi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Master Spade .If you still do not Windows repair , go back to Safe Mode and did try to Restore your windows to previous state with System Restore.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I was also noticing you have some out of date Java installed. We need to rid those as they have been known to have security problems.
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Hi Master Spade... I was asked to take a look by Rorschach112 and offer some help. let's chekc this a little more.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

Thanks for the reply.
Yesterday, I managed to change that boot seguence and tried to do that Windows Repair. Everything seems to work just fine, until the end. It says that it has finished that part, and just needs to restart to Finish everything. But when it restarts, it just freezes, and it's back to square one!
And now that PC doesn't even want to start in Safe mode. A message comes up that says "Windows XP Setup cannot run under safe mode. Setup will restart now." How can I get it Out of Windows XP Setup, so I can start it at least in Safe Mode?

I was messing with the PC all day yesterday, and one of the things that came up was this message "Check Hard Drive to make sure it is Properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for Hard Drive corruption, then restart computer."
After that, I pressed F12 and ran a Hard Drive Diagnostics, with these results:

Drive 0: ST3500320AS - Pass
Drive 1: LITE-ON - Diagnostic not supported
Drive 2: No Device
Drive 3: WD3200KS-75PFB0 - Pass
Drive 4: No Device
Drive 5: No Device

With that info, is there anything else I can do?
Thanks!