Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC only turns on in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
first if the Puppy Linux did not work then the only way to backup is to do the external hd enclosure or slave the drive is a known working system and then do the backup.
Now the procedures i can instruct on how to do but they also will depend on the system being able to boot to a cdrom.
We don't have to have the XP cd to do some of them but it does help.

Advertisements

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

first if the Puppy Linux did not work then the only way to backup is to do the external hd enclosure or slave the drive is a known working system and then do the backup.
Now the procedures i can instruct on how to do but they also will depend on the system being able to boot to a cdrom.

As long as we can backup the files.

The CD I have is the Operating System Reinstallation DVD. What are the instructions for the external hd enclosure or slave the drive that you said?

Thanks again.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

As long as we can backup the files.

The CD I have is the Operating System Reinstallation DVD. What are the instructions for the external hd enclosure or slave the drive that you said?

Thanks again.

I opened the PC and made sure everything was tight. Then I thought, if I can't find a way to get to the Desktop so I can use the External HD to back everything up, since I have 2 HD's in the PC with the 500MB being the primary one, couldn't I remove the 360GB one just to at least have those files? That way I'd still have something.

Also, could I install those 2 Hard Drives to this other PC and try to connect it to the External HD, or would doing so infect this PC too?

Thanks for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without knowing if there is a infection I can't say if the system would be infected.
Removing the 360 gig hd would make sure those files are save.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Without knowing if there is a infection I can't say if the system would be infected.
Removing the 360 gig hd would make sure those files are save.

Let's say that the 500GB HD does have the infection. If I put it in the other PC, while at the same time Removing the other PC's HD so it won't get infected, would the other PC be able to boot up? And since I would remove this PC's HD before putting in the 500 GB one, there would be no harm done to this PC, right? It couldn't get infected, could it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
so what you are wanting to do is to take the 500 and use it as the main drive in another system to just get it to boot up?

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

so what you are wanting to do is to take the 500 and use it as the main drive in another system to just get it to boot up?

If nothing else works, then yes.

But for now, what's the next step?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point take the 360 out so it is safe.
We have to figure out a way to do a repair installation on this 500.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
GREAT NEWS!!!! I'm on here on my infected PC!!
After alot of trial and error, and basically trying Everything and Anything, I got this to work....at least a little bit.
What I did was Remove the 320GB HD, and only left the 500GB HD connected. With that, I tried to boot up with the Puppy Linux, but the same Error came up. So I tried to boot up with all 3 OS, but the same Errors came up. I couldn't even get to the Recovery Console. Then, I put in the Windows CD, just to eliminate that. I tried to boot up with all 3 OS, but nothing. Again, even the Recovery Console wouldn't come out. Then at the end, this NEW Error came out:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

I don't remember if that Error appeared with the Puppy CD, or the Windows CD.

Then I disconnected the 500GB, and connected the 320GB HD. With the 320GB HD in and the Windows CD, I CAN get into the Recovery Console! With the Puppy Linux CD, it doesn't work, the same Error comes up.
Then I tried to boot Normally, with the only Operating System that is in the 320GB HD, it took me to the profile page, I signed in, and whala! It took a LOOONNGG time to load, but it did. This is the PC as it was on 2-29-08, that must've been the day I installed the 500GB HD and made this one the secondary one.

That means the Infection must be in the 500GB HD, right?

Now, one of the Errors that keeps appearing for the 500GB HD is the one that say the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file is missing. Now that I got the 320GB HD to start up, is there any way to Copy that System32 file from here and paste it to the 500GB HD? What if I make the 320GB HD the Primary, and reconnect the 500GB HD, but make it the Slave. Then, would I be able to Drag that folder to the 500GB HD?

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Are there any other CD's that will take me to the desktop? Maybe there was something wrong with that Puppy Linux that I used? It did say in that Error message that "cannot find Puppy on 'satacd' boot media". Maybe that was missing in that CD?

Any other CD's that can take me to the Desktop? That's the most important thing right to save the data.

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could try redownloading it and burning it again.
BartPe is another one I see other techs suggest.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Update. After desperately trying EVERYTHING these past few day, I finally found a way to get the info of that 500GB HD backed up on the 1TB External HD. What I did was only connect the 320GB HD that is working to boot up the PC. Then, while it's on, I connected the 500GB HD. I expected the worst, but it didn't turn off. I then connected the External HD and backed up the info from the 500GB HD.

Everything seemed Perfect..........until I tried to copy the folder "My Folder", the one I log into as the Administrator in that HD. It says it has ZERO data!!?? How did that get erased?? That's where I have all my important Files!!! Is that why that HD won't boot up the PC as the Master HD?

Is there ANY way to retrieve that lost data? I want to try to get that data back and back it up before I try to repair that HD.

I googled that, and it says there is software that might be able to do that. One that keeps coming up is Pandora File Recovery. Do you know of any?
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by Master Spade, 11 January 2010 - 05:55 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PC Inspector And Recovery Software

To be able to use PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x you need a working WINDOWS™ System. Never install the current version on the drive from which you intend to recover data! The software must be installed and run on a second, independent drive.

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 January 2010 - 06:10 PM.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

PC Inspector And Recovery Software

To be able to use PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x you need a working WINDOWS™ System. Never install the current version on the drive from which you intend to recover data! The software must be installed and run on a second, independent drive.

Can you provide another link. The one you posted seems to not be working, and it's in some other language.

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I tried this link myself and it works and is in English.
http://www.pcinspect....htm?language=1
There are full instructions also on the site.