Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC only turns on in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Just to update, I Finally backed up everything to the External HD.
Then I went into Windows Setup. I tried both options on there. I tried pressing the Enter option, but eventually it just took me to the Blue screen of Death. It was the: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, error. :)

Then I tried pressing the "R" to enter Recovery Console, but just got that Same IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, error. :)

What should I try now? Since I have everything backed up, and since I tried basically everything now :) , what should now? Should I just Re-Install Windows to that 500GB HD from that CD, or is there something else I can try that will eliminate that IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error?

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm is the 500 empty?

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Hmm is the 500 empty?

The only folder that it Says is empty is the one with MY Documents. But I was able to salvage those Using "DiskInternals: UnEraser. It was $40, but I tried about 6 other software that recovered files, but UnEraser was by FAAAAAR the easiest to use, the most organized, recovered the most files, and was the fastest. The others that were free recovered some files, but they were scattered everywhere, and made about 6 copies of each file. Very Messy.

The rest of the files are still on that 500GB HD. But since it says that MY Documents folder is empty, maybe that is why Windows doesn't boot up? Like I said, that IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen pops up.

Any suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you load windows on that drive it may format the drive.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

If you load windows on that drive it may format the drive.

I'm reading about that, "Reformating" a Hard Drive. It says that most find it easier to simply erase everything and start from scratch. These articles say that is true only when everything else has been tried, which in my case is very True.

So, to reformat, I just use that Windows CD and Re-Install it New? Is there anything besides that, that I have to do to "Reformat" that HD?

Then I would think, that after installing Windows, I would then Re-add all my files and folders, right? I would then add everything EXCEPT that WINDOWS Folder that is there right now, right?

Edited by Master Spade, 14 January 2010 - 05:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OMG!! :) No matter what I try to do with that 500GB HD, I get the Error messages. Whether I try to Repair or Reformat. After I get into Windows Setup, I Press Enter, then F8 to agree, but after that.....the BSOD!!

Can I reformat that 500GB HD if I have it as the slave HD? Will it give me the option to choose the HD I will install Windows on to?

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Can I reformat that 500GB HD if I have it as the slave HD? Will it give me the option to choose the HD I will install Windows on to?

Yes on the slaving the drive and formatting it through Computer Management or My Computer
As far as installation that could get a little tricky.
I see you had a malware topic back in October last year. Honestly now, do you do much downloading from the internet?

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Yes on the slaving the drive and formatting it through Computer Management or My Computer
As far as installation that could get a little tricky.
I see you had a malware topic back in October last year. Honestly now, do you do much downloading from the internet?

Back when I had that 320GB HD I used to download alot more than when I got the 500GB HD. The funny thing is, or the Lucky thing is, that the 320GB HD never had problems. And back then in 2006-2008 I didn't even know of programs like SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. I added those on the 500GB HD when I was informed about Malware, Spyware, and things like that. After I find out about those things, I removed UTorrent and Bittorrent from that 500GB HD back in October. This 320 GB from back then still has those programs.
The day the 500 HD got messed up, I was on the PC and everything seemed fine. When I turned it off, everything was still OK. Then, the next day, it Happened.
What I think happened was my Seizure condition. While on the PC that day, I had a seizure. One minute I was on the PC/keyboard, then I blacked out. When I came to, I was on the floor next to the PC tower with blood everywhere. I bit my tongue. So I THINK when I fell, I must've hit the PC tower pretty violently.

That's what I'm guessing anyway.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am sorry to hear this. I hope you are ok now and have your condition under control?

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Advertisements

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
[quote name='rshaffer61' date='Jan 14 2010, 10:08 PM' post='1736033']
I am sorry to hear this. I hope you are ok now and have your condition under control?

Well, having it under control is like everything in this world, it's all Relative. One thing I can say is, do not make my mistake........do NOT trust Doctors!!!!
When my seizures first started, I got 26 seizures in that year. The Doctors advice....MORE MEDICINE. Then the next year, 36 seizures. The Doctors advice..........MORE MEDICINE. The next year I had 56 seizures, the Doctors advice..........MORE MEDICINE. Then the next year I had 91 seizures!!!!!............The Doctors advice..........yup......you guessed it....MORE MEDICINE!!!! That year, I was taking 4 different medications, at the maximum dosage!! I was taking a total of well over 24 pills a day!! Dilantin alone has 33 side effects, of which I counted 22 that effected me! The worst being MEMORY LOSS!! I used to have a photographic memory, now my memory SUCKS!! Those side effects piled on with the other 3 medications = POISON!! I found out about that particular side effect from the Discovery Channel. The next visit, I ask the Doctors why they never told me about those side effects, especially since I was complaining about losing memory......you know what they said?? They said, "oh,....you never asked... ??

Well, I told the doctor that I was going to stop with all that POISON. They said I would DIE. I said, "I prefer to die than live like this." Well, the first year with no meds? Only 21 seizures! After that I went 21 straight months with NO SEIZURES and only 3 total seizures that next year!! Now I average about3-5 total in a year!! WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS!!! Compare that to 91 seizures and climbing with the meds!!

What did the DoctorS say about this miracle?? They all said the same thing...."That's nice, but we prefer you get on this other EXPERIMENTAL Medication........"?????

They are nothing but DRUG DEALERS!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you been able to install your OS yet and if not can you provide a update to your situation at the present time?

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Have you been able to install your OS yet and if not can you provide a update to your situation at the present time?

No luck as of yet. I've been reading different sites with people having similar problems to see if they've had any solution, but nope.
The only thing I have read that MIGHT help are some programs called "Registry Cleaners" that supposedly "correct Corrupt files" on the PC. I think that's one of the things that is wrong with that 500GB HD, and why it won't even let me get to the Screen to either Repair or Re-install the OS. After reading about many of those programs, the one in the lead is one called: "Uniblue: RegistryBooster 2010". Do you know anything about those type of Programs? If so, would it do me any good to buy it?

Right now I've updated McAfee and am running a scan on that 500GB HD, I have it still as the Slave, and hope that if it has any Viruses that they will be removed. After that, I'll scan it with SuperAntiVirus. One question about SuperAntivirus and MalWarebytes, I can have Both on my PC....Correct? If so, which one is the one that is the "Real time" scanner? Because I can't have both running in real time, right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

One question about SuperAntivirus and MalWarebytes, I can have Both on my PC....Correct? If so, which one is the one that is the "Real time" scanner? Because I can't have both running in real time, right?

Yes they both can be on at the same time. No they are neither a real time scan. They look for different things and need to be run manually once a week to do a full system scan. If oyu are wanting a Av then I suggest Avast.

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:
It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year
If the system is now running off the 500 then if there is a fear of infection we can work with that.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 March 2010 - 06:07 PM.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Just to update, I just BARELY fixed the most recent problem I've had with this PC which was it would not get past POST. After ALOT of research and headaches trying to fix that problem, guess what is was........the BATTERY in the motherboard!!?? Seems that Dell PC's suffer from faulty Batteries!!!!

Now that the PC gets past POST, and before I try to Repair/reinstall Windows, I'm hoping that another easy fix can get that 500GB HD to finally work. Right now I'll try anything. So before I repair/reinstall Windows, I'm going to try something I've Never done to either Hard Drive: Defragment the HD's, run Error Checking, and Disk Cleanup. Is it true that those things should be run every week? What I read about those things says it will Speed up the PC speed, and keep things running better. Is this true?

If so, maybe that's why my 500GB HD is messed up, because I never ran those things?