Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE/SATA Compatibility

• Please log in to reply

ajv4ever79

ajv4ever79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have my own, home built PC with XP Pro. The motherboard is IDE and SATA compatible. I have my original 80Gb IDE HDD with Windows XP installed on it. I recently purchased a 320Gb SATA HDD to use as additional storage. I have two questions: One, can I use my existing OS installed HD as the master with the SATA being the slave. Two, if this is possible, would I require an adaptor? I have both of them connected, but my computer is only reading the SATA drive. I can only conclude that this has to do with one of the two things I have just asked. Any help is appreciated. :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Yes it'll be fine.
2) No you don't need an adaptor.

ajv4ever79

ajv4ever79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, so my next question would be, how do I get my computer to recognize my IDE drive? Because as it stands now, it is not. I have the jumper set to "Master." Would this be incorrect??

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
How many things are connected to the IDE cable? I would try using the CS, or Cable Select jumper setting. Then it doesn't matter how you have them connected.

ajv4ever79

ajv4ever79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I actually don't have anything but the HD on the IDE cable. I will try using CS, but it's not looking good so far. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok if the IDE was set to master originally what other drive was connected tot he drive originally?
What is the manufacturer of the IDE drive?
Western Digital
Seagate
Maxtor
Fujitsu
Hitachi

ajv4ever79

ajv4ever79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I never had anything but the HD connected with that particular IDE cable and it was set to CS before I bought the new HD. Both of my HD are Western Digital.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then if everything is set as it originally was then you should have no problems.
IDE and SATA cannot be made Master and Slave
They are different connections and SATA needs no settings like that to work.
If the system doesn't boot correctly then make sure to go into the bios and set the IDE drive as the boot drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Top is IDE and bottom picture is SATA connection.

[attachment=37646:sata_ide_lg.jpg]

ajv4ever79

ajv4ever79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If the system doesn't boot correctly then make sure to go into the bios and set the IDE drive as the boot drive.

That's my issue...my computer isn't even reading the IDE drive. It's only reading the SATA. I do currently have the IDE set to master and I suppose I can switch that to see if it changes. I will try that and repost if anything changes or not. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can I ask who the manufacturer of the IDE drive is?