Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound card undetected

• Please log in to reply

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am currently running Windows XP a very old Dell Inspiron B120 laptop. Until recently, I have unable to get the sard card working. When I go to audio properties in control panel, it says there is no audio device. If I click on the hardware tab, it only shows the codecs and CD/DVD dive. Whenever I try to play an mp3 in Windows Media Player, it says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." I tried the malware cleaning guide, still didn't help. I also tried restoring the default BIOS settings and that didn't help either. Also tried redownloading the drivers and that also didn't help. If somebody has a clue to this solution, please help.

Advertisements

Fllash

Fllash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Booting a Linux distribution will allow you to test the sound hardware, so:
If you are able to, get hold of a Linux live CD (Ubuntu (to download and burn from www.ubuntu.org), for example, which costs nothing), and see if the sound functions correctly. This will help to rule out hardware failure, while not needing to fiddle with XP just yet.

If sound works under linux (or you were unable to test it), then what you can do is enter device manager, and scan for hardware changes. Failing that, choose to install legacy hardware.

Sorry if this doesnt help, i realise it is a little generic.
Thanks,
Josh.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried the device manager, and everything appears to be working correctly. No yellow or red x's of any sort.

Fllash

Fllash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Which is why I suggest testing for hardware failure using a bootable linux distribution.

Thanks,
Josh

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am unable to do that

Fllash

Fllash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Are you able to do a system restore to before the sound stopped working?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am unable to do that

Can I ask why you are unable to do a Linux live cd?
Is it due to not having any cd's to make the live cd?

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried doing a system restore, but I can't restore to any date earlier than Dec 26th. So that failed. And correct, I do not have any CDs to make Linux with.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I tried the device manager, and everything appears to be working correctly. No yellow or red x's of any sort.

Can you get a screenshot of your Device Manager?

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Advertisements

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here is the device manager. I even opened up the Sound device chain.

Attached Thumbnails

• devmgmt.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
try going into the bios and finding the onboard or integrated peripherals area. Check to see if the onboard sound is enabled.
To get to bios you would usually click the Del button on the first post (Black) screen where it is counting up memory.

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried that and there are only 3 onboard devices: Integrated NIC, MiniPCI status, and Modem Enable which are all enabled.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you sound is a add on card then right?
If so then the problem is for sure a faulty sound card and a replacement is the resolution.
You stated you even downloaded the drivers... What drivers are you referring to.
Motherboard drivers ,,,,make and model please
Sound Card Drivers

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My sound card is not an add on, i have always used the onboard sound. I redownloaded the legacy audio drivers, which are the motherboard audio drivers I do believe. The motherboard model/make is a Dell 0KD941 with Intel Celeron M processor (acquired using system information for windows (SIW)).