Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair

• Please log in to reply

Chris M

Chris M

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I'm having big problems with my laptop, which runs Windows XP SP3.

I think I had a virus attack, which I tried to clean. But my laptop froze, and would not turn on. When I press the power button, it starts the initial process, i.e. Tells me processor speed, RAM etc. Then the screen goes blank and the HD light turns off.

I have tried to reinstall XP using the CD. This boots up, and I tried to reinstall XP. It seemed to be working, in that it deleted files and then reinstalled them, before saying it needed to restart. This time I got the windows XP loading screen for a while, before it crashed again. I've also since tried to start in safe mode, but this just lists error messages.

I'm getting to the point where I just want to put a fresh install of XP on. But there are some files in My Documents I want to save first, and don't know how to do so.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks!

Chris :-)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Don't leave backing up your files until it's too late and you can't get into Windows!
Backing up should be done while your pc is working okay - it's so easy to do yet I'm baffled why so many pc users don't do it.

Please go here for instructions on how to to repair xp using your xp CD:
http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm

And please, when you have Windows working again do discipline yourself to make copies of all your stuff and save it on another disk, CD or DVD, or a USB flash drive.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 03 January 2010 - 07:59 AM.