Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got Vista Home Basic 32 bit but purchased Home Premium

• Please log in to reply

kkv1228

kkv1228

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[size="3"]Somewhere along the path of restoring my computer from one of a few trips down the road of saving it from my child Vista Home Basic was reinstalled instead of Windows Vista Home Premium 32 BIT. I was able to get a product code from Microsoft to get mt machine running again, but now would like to use/install my Vista Home Premium , which I do have a product code key for. How do I make the change without crashing/freezing my computer or losing use of it. Ashamed I'm afraid I will lose the use of this machine :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
First save all your own files to another drive or anywhere other than the disk on which Vista Basic is installed.

You'll now have to boot the pc from the Vista Home Edition CD and tell it to install Vista Home Edition over the existing Vista Basic installation. When finished, Vista Basic will have gone completely and it will instead be Vista Home Premium. When installing Vista Home Premium make sure you use the Home Premium CD Product Key and not the Vista Basic Product Key.