Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Designworks 3.5

• Please log in to reply

icm1

icm1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, don't know if anyone can help with this one. Under Windows XP I frequently used a program called Designworks 3.5 to create leaflets, flyers etc and diagrams of various descriptions, a pretty basic program but I loved it. I have recently upgraded my PC to Windows Vista Ultimate and I now find that, although Designworks 3.5 appears to install okay and all my previous work is correctly associated with the program extension (.art)it will not work. Every time I try to open a file with the(.art)extension the program comes up immediately with a message saying 'DWK35 has stopped working' A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
I had no problems at all in Windows XP, I hope someone can help out with this one, I have a lot of work I need to get access to. Many thanks in advance. Best regards. Ivor

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It's not unusual for sofware which works fine on XP to not work properly on Vista, for the same reason that xp device drivers don't work on vista -- the two operating systems may look similar to the user but under the hood, to a programmer, they are very different.

However, all is not necessarily lost. Like XP, Windows Vista has a "compatibility mode" for older applications which were written for an earlier version of Windows.

On your Desktop, find the shortcut which starts Designworks.
Right-click it and choose 'Properties'
Click the 'Compatibility' tab.
Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for....",
then choose Windows XP from the list (may also have an SP number)
Click 'OK'

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 03 January 2010 - 09:04 AM.

icm1

icm1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Phil, I followed your instruction but I still get the same result. thanks for your help

millertime1985

millertime1985

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have had a similar problem with my mothers new computer and Designworks 3.5
she had used Designworks on her old windows XP PC for about 10 years...

after alot of problems on her old PC we got her a new laptop for a number of reasons.
anyway now we find that we cant install Designworks on her new "Windows 7" laptop ... even trying to get it to install using the "program compatability" built into Windows is useless...

if anyone can offer any advice i would appreciate it... as my mother is more or less refusing to to try and use an alternative program.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well if you could confirm who published the software, that would help. I didn't get very far googling the application.

you can try right clicking on the designworks desktop short cut, and select "run as administrator" and see if that works.