Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First time building a desktop PC.

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Pushing all four at once is just the "proper" way... I'm sure its fine. The idea is so the cooler sits firmly and evenly on the cpu. This is so heat is dissipated evenly from the processor. If it is not "flush" on the cpu your cpu will overheat within a matter of seconds, but your motherboard/cpu has safe guards and will shut the computer down once a certain temperature is reached.

One of the first things you should do once you boot the computer for the first time is go into the BIOS. Look for "System Health" or something like that, and look at the cpu temperature. It will be somewhere around 30-45 degree celcius, the lower the better. And remember to change the ACHI mode to SATA, and make sure your memory is running at 1333 (if it's running at 1066 don't be alarmed, you may just need to change the profile, just let me know what it is at).

Advertisements

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Phew... this is exciting...
RAM is in, CPU is in, CPU Fan is in - pins locked into place and connected to motherboard...
now, admittedly, I'm nervous about the placement of the CPU itself. I have a screwdriver, along with the motherboard ready, the case is on it's side with both side-panels off for now...

Now there are two points I'm trying to get down, first being the input output panel, I've found where the one in the case is, just need to figure out how to switch them, the second is the proper way to place the motherboard in with the standoffs... I have a packet of four screws here, though I can't remember if they came with the power supply or the motherboard... once these two are in, the only other thing I can imagine being much difficulty is the power supply, and which cords go where...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The input output panel (IO Shield) that comes preinstalled in your case just "pops out". I believe you push on it and pry a little and it will fall into the inside of the case. Notice the edges of the IO Shield around the case, they just kinda clamp on there. The new one will install the same way. The shield that comes with the case is pretty much useless, so don't worry if you bend it or anything. This isn't the greatest video, but you'll see how easy it should pop in and out... http://www.wonderhow...ield-8969/view/

the second is the proper way to place the motherboard in with the standoffs... I have a packet of four screws here, though I can't remember if they came with the power supply or the motherboard

Usually the same screws are used, but that packet of 4 probably came with the power supply, since it will use 4 of them to mount to the case.

How to install the motherboard/standoffs:

1: Screw a standoff in each hole the motherboard screw holes lines up with in the case.
2. Set the motherboard down on top of the standoffs (its ok if the standoffs touch other parts on the back of the motherboard.
3. Screw one screw into each hole on the motherboard which will be screwing into a stand off
4. DO NOT put a standoff anywhere other than where the holes on the motherboard are. See?

I've circled the motherboard holes in this pic... (I may have missed some, but you get the idea hopefully)

Posted Image

Edited by Ferrari, 03 February 2010 - 10:09 PM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ohhh, I see...
I didn't realize that the screws were in a little toolbox set inside the computer case, though, it's tucked pretty firmly in there.

The image with the circles helps a great deal, thank you :)

I'm going to try again... just to make sure, what is the "safe" way of handling the motherboard? I don't want to wind up touching and damaging any of the components on it, admittedly...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hold the motherboard by the edges. Just remember this... the idea is not to get any of the oil from your fingers on any of the metal connections on the motherboard... this can cause corrosion or a bad connection in time (but this is more of the proper way, I touch things with my fingers all the time, so don't think it's ruined if you accidentally do this). Secondly, so just in case you have built up some electricity in your body, and you do touch a metal connection on the board, you don't "shock" the board. See?

Here is a pic of me the first time I ever layed a motherboard into a case. :) :) :) Do I look nervous?

Posted Image

though, it's tucked pretty firmly in there.

That's so it doesn't bang all around when being shipped. You can take it out of there, it's not permanent or anything is it? Probably just packaged really well.

Edited by Ferrari, 03 February 2010 - 10:22 PM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Much better!
There were a lot of cords tucked in that made it rather difficult to put the motherboard in - why I was a bit nervous about handling it.
Found the screws, found the standoff positions - not as hard as I thought it was - and just need to screw them in...
...though, this is odd, admittedly.
There are 6 standoffs, but 8 spots for the motherboard, no extra standoffs were included, can I just use 6 out of the 8 spots?
There was another spot for a screw on the motherboard, I think, but there was no place for the standoff underneath on the case itself.

IO shield was annoying for a little, but it eventually wedged in there just fine. :)

ah, nevermind, a bag that I thought just had screws had some standoffs as well... I assume I just need to use the little screws.

Edited by Erolunai, 03 February 2010 - 10:52 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Use all the spots the motherboard gives you, but its not 100% necessary to use all the holes on the motherboard. There is one spot on my motherboard that is really hard to get to because of the design of the case along with my giant heatsink, so I just leave that one empty. As long as the mobo is in there firmly not all floppin around, you'll be fine.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright! Motherboard installed, onto the power supply!
...And another problem/question!

(and to answer your question from earlier, you look a lot less nervous than me, I think!)

Well, it seems that there's a tab of metal sticking up to hold the power supply in case, but it's a -really- tight fit... the tab of metal is almost pushed inside the grate where the fan is... I'm going to try installing the screws, but it's already scratched up the metal just a little where I installed it. second attempt got it in a bit more smoothly, but... well, I'll see how it goes. Fan pointed towards the motherboard. ^^

edit:
It seems that the power supply doesn't fit very nicely... there are a few screws that I just can't get in - they just spin around and don't fit the spot that they have...

Edited by Erolunai, 03 February 2010 - 11:19 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm not sure about the screws not fitting... maybe you need to use a bigger size screw, though they should be the same as used for the motherboard. And yes, fan pointed towards the motherboard, you don't want to sufficate the PSU by pointing the fan straight down on the case.

Ummm, that tab you are talking about is there to help keep the power supply in place, if it's in the way tooooo much, bend it up a little.

Worse comes to worse, you can worry about the power supply having all 4 screws at a later time, this is something can take a look at later if you are wanting to move ahead.

Sorry for the delay, I was playing Crysis on a really awesome modded server. :)

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
No worries about the delay, I'm relaxed, though I really want to get this done as soon as I can X3...
Power supply is in, so...

hard drive, DVD burner, video card all need to be installed, and then the power supply connects everything, right?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

and then the power supply connects everything, right?

Yes. When you get to that point, go back and look at the image I put all those circles on, that will help you a lot. Try to have the cables as organized as possible as that improves airflow which in turn keeps the temperatures lower in the case.

The video card can be a little tricky sometimes. Its self explanatory how you put it in, but sometimes the back PCI bracket gets stuck where it slides down past the motherboard (but not on the motherboard, on the case). The best way to get it to get past that, is to push on the video card from outside the case to get it over that lip. If this happens to you, reread this, you'll know what I"m talking about. :)

Put the hard drive wherever you want, the better ventilation and air blowing on it the better. You can put the DVD drive wherever you want too, bottom, top, middle, etc.

Edited by Ferrari, 03 February 2010 - 11:42 PM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'm already having that difficulty with the video card XD
I figured out that I need to remove those two brackets for the graphics card, but now...
well, I've got it going down into the PIC express slot, with the part of the graphics card that goes back into the space where the two brackets were removed...
at the bottom of the bracket, it hung over the "lip" of the metal slot, there are two similar lips on the graphics card, do they do the same? I'm starting to suspect they don't, but I want to make sure, I don't want to force anything in, and I certainly don't want to have to force the card into a slot it's not supposed to go into.
It feels like I need to put pressure on it to get it into the pci express slot, but... as you can probably tell, I don't like using much force or pressure with this computer...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Give me just a second... I'm pretty sure you are describing the problem I was talking about. I'm going to try to find an image and show you where the back of the video cards PCI Brackets go. They slide between the case and the motherboard... there is room down there... see it?

Okay, give me a second... be right back.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Actually, I think I've got it in :)
Just testing it, it's firmly in place, it can be lightly nudged back and forth, but it doesn't wobble or move loosely about.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Awesome, I was just about to post like 3 really confusing pictures :)

Now you should screw the PCI Brackets of the video card into place like how the brackets that came with the case were screwed on there. See what I mean?