Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First time building a desktop PC.

• Please log in to reply

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I can barely believe that I'm here right now, I was expecting to have finished this next week... but everything...
The motherboard is installed into the case using standoffs and small Phillips screws, the CPU, CPU fan/heatsink, RAM, and video card were all very carefully installed... the power supply was tightly nudged in, the hard drive and DVD burner were -amazingly- easy and fun to install...
Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video Card, Hard Drive, DVD burner, Power Supply, and case... everything is almost done :)

I just need to finish connecting everything to the power supply... being very careful. ^^

...now, where to start...

Edited by Erolunai, 04 February 2010 - 12:49 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Just start where ever, 24pin and 8pin from the PSU? I'm just chillin' waiting for your next post... nothing better to do and I would feel bad if I left you at this point. :)

Try not to get the PCI-Express and the CPU Power plugs mistaken. The CPU power plug is the 8pin that is already connected to the power supply. The PCI-Express plugs go in your video card, and are the red modular cables here... http://www.newegg.ca.......ith core i7

Below is a pic of where the 1394 (Firewire) goes, and apparently your motherboard only has 1 system fan header circled in green so you'll have to use the 4pin Molex connectors for the other fans. I'm dissappointed in that motherboard for that reason, should have more than one. :)

Posted Image

Edited by Ferrari, 04 February 2010 - 12:53 AM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
alright, replying as I plug things in...
starting with the main connector, the biggest one - it has 10 little slots on each side, with another two seperated from it, the slot it's supposedly going into has 12 slots on each side...
I'm guessing that's the 24 pin? There's one pin that seems to be missing though, it has no little metal piece inside. I'm not certain on how to tell if it's in the right way or not...
will try to plug in the others while I wait for your response. ^^

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes, that is the 24pin. It is a 20pin with a small 4pin you combine together to make the 24pin. The reason for this is because some older motherboards only take 20pin. The pin without a metal piece inside is probably normal... I've never looked that close... haha.

Does the 20pin and 4pin have arrows on them like this? http://www.newegg.ca.......ith core i7

In my experience, both plugs will only plug in one way... if you notice there are little rounded edges on some of the pins and some of them are just square. Also, there should be a small lip on the motherboards 24pin power connector that a clip on the 20pin clips over. Just fool with it, you'll get it.

Same goes for the 8pin, it should only plug in one way. Should have a clip and everything too.

Remember to plug your video card in! It is possible damaged can be caused if you fire up without this plugged in, so try to remember that before you press the power button.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright, I'll make sure to give the graphics card some power too - the case for the graphics card had a big warning about that as well...

...but for now, looking through the manual, I feel -completely- lost on which connector goes where x.x;...
except for the 24 pin and the 8 pin, those are both connected.

Edited by Erolunai, 04 February 2010 - 01:12 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

...but for now, looking through the manual, I feel -completely- lost on which connector goes where x.x;...

Can you explain better? Aren't the wires that are attached to the case labled? Match them up with the ports that I circled in the picture I posted at the beginning of tonight.

I think the power button wire doesn't matter which is negative or positive, your motherboard manual will lay it out very clearly as to where to put the hdd light, power button, and reset button wires go. Remember, black is always negative. and your motherboard manual should tell you which pins on the motherboard are negative. Its my least favorite part of building a computer! :)

Edited by Ferrari, 04 February 2010 - 01:15 AM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hmm... alright, I'll try to explain a bit more where I'm confused.

This is the image you showed to me, right?

Posted Image

I've got the main plugs in (The ones circled in red)

Now, coming from the very top of the case are:
one unlabeled plug (coming from the top 200mm fan - a second wire runs from it to a 3-speed setting option), another comes from the back fan, and two more come from the fans in the front...
three small, two-pin connectors labeled "H.D. LED", "RESET SW", and "PWR SW"
two large black cables, one says "1394" at the base (10 small pins), and IEEE -1394 COMPLIANT" among other things along the cord. The other splits into two, one says HD AUDIO, the other says AC'97, both small 10 pin connectors.
a third black cable split into two, but all go into one small 10 pin connector that is labeled "USB"

I'm not sure where any of these are supposed to plug in...

as well, there are cables that need to be plugged into the DVD writer, the hard drive, and the video card...

...ah, just a sec...
*is editing*

Along the bottom side of the motherboard, I see some connectors with some labels...
"SPDIF_0" "SPDIF_1", "FDD", "COMA", "F1_1394", "F_USB2", "F_USB1", "F_PANEL"
along the left side, "CD_IN", and more towards the right, I see the "SATA ports" - as shown in your image, and the white/blue connectors just above the ports in the image...

Edited by Erolunai, 04 February 2010 - 01:32 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

one unlabeled plug (coming from the top 200mm fan - a second wire runs from it to a 3-speed setting option), another comes from the back fan, and two more come from the fans in the front...

All of your fans will be powered by molex connectors that come from your power supply, except one can be plugged into the system fan header I labled green in one of my last pictures, so get that cord and plug it into your power supply on one end... and the other ends will have male molex connectors that will fit into the female molex connectors from the fans. This is what molex connectors look like... HERE Yours are probably black though, not white.

three small, two-pin connectors labeled "H.D. LED", "RESET SW", and "PWR SW"

HD LED is the Hard Drive LED... so look in your motherboard manual, and it will tell you exactly what pins to plug it into. I have labeled that area in the photo "Case Wires" circled in blue.
RESET SW stands for Reset Switch, again, look in the motherboard manual and it will tell you exactly what pins to plug it into in that blue circled area in the picture "Case Wires"
PWR SW stands for Power Switch. Same as the HD LED and Reset, consult your motherboard manual. REMEMBER: The black wire leading to these plugs is the negative... that will help. The power switch doesn't matter as it just completes a circuit... I guess that may be the same for all those switches really.

two large black cables, one says "1394" at the base (10 small pins), and IEEE -1394 COMPLIANT" among other things along the cord

I labled that with a red circle in one of the last pics I provided... HERE

one says HD AUDIO, the other says AC'97, both small 10 pin connectors.

This is for the Audio ports on the front of your case. Use HD Audio, AC 97 will be left unplugged. I labeled this area with a teal colored circled labeled AUDIO.

a third black cable split into two, but all go into one small 10 pin connector that is labeled "USB"

I labeled this area with orange, see it? Use either one of the USB ports on the motherboard.
This is the USB Cable for the front USB ports on your case.

as well, there are cables that need to be plugged into the DVD writer, the hard drive, and the video card...

The power plugs that you will use for the DVD writer and the hard drive are SATA Power Connectors. Here is what they look like... HERE These will be on one of the modular cables that you have to plug into your power supply, then those connectors will be strung along that cable... there is probably 3 or 4 of them.

The data cables are SATA cables. This is what they look like... HERE Your motherboard should have come with at least a couple. One end gets plugged into the blue SATA ports I have circled and the other end gets plugged into the DVD writer. Same goes for the HDD. NOTE: The white SATA ports are for a RAID controller... lets not mess with that right now. Maybe never will.

Does this help? Don't be afraid to ask more questions... I'm sure it seems quite hard at first... but it's really simple, just plug the right connector into the right port. Let me know if this helps...

EDIT: I didn't link correctly to the 1394 header... try that link again... sorry.

Edited by Ferrari, 04 February 2010 - 01:54 AM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright... I plugged in two sets of molex connectors to the power supply. one went to the two fans at the top and back, the other went to the two fans in front, and the video card... it looked as though the video card would fit into a molex connector (and it did), and the other two fans had to piggyback - one fan plugged into the molex connector, and the other fan plugged into the connector on the opposite side of the first fan... is this alright? If it is, I'm going to be happy XD

Admittedly, it's starting to get a little crowded in there with all the cables, I can't help but feel I'm not keeping things as neat and tidy as others might, but I hope it's going to be alright regardless >x<

I'm going to continue on with the other sets of cables now.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

it looked as though the video card would fit into a molex connector (and it did)

You probably plugged it in right, but you used the wrong terminology. The plugs that go into the video card are NOT MOLEX, molex connectors wouldn't even fit into those plugs. The ones that go into the video card are cables all by themselves that come directly from the power supply to the video card. They are probably labeled PCI-E and in the pictures from newegg HERE They are red in color... see them?

Don't worry about excellent cable management... you can rearrange all that later. We need to just try and see if this thing will turn on.

Edited by Ferrari, 04 February 2010 - 02:15 AM.

Advertisements

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I think I see...

Alright, everything is plugged in except for the hard drive, the DVD writer, and the graphics card...
I'm going to plug the graphics card in using the cable you've showed me, I was a little confused as there was another cable that came with the video card that is yellow and black, and fits in the same way that red cable would, the other side is a molex.
I'm going to unplug that and plug each fan into their own molex connection, and fit that red cable into the video card.

Now, admittedly, I'm a bit lost with the hard drive and the DVD writer...
They each have the same connection - it's like a flat line with a group of pins underneath, then a shorter line to the right of it. The hard drive has another connection, two rows of four pins each...
I think I can see it now if I look close, but it feels like I have to put a bit of pressure in - it was admittedly hard to get to with the cables and everything around there.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I'm going to unplug that and plug each fan into their own molex connection, and fit that red cable into the video card.

Yes do that. The cable that came with the video card is in case the power supply you are using doesn't come with PCI-E connectors. Just do it the way you just mentioned, that is better.

The hard drive has another connection, two rows of four pins each...

Don't worry about those two rows of four pins each. That is for jumpers... you don't need to worry about that at all. I explained what the hard drive power connectors looked like and what the sata data cables looked like in a post just a few up from this... maybe the last one.

I think I can see it now if I look close, but it feels like I have to put a bit of pressure in

I'm not sure what you are talking about here, see what? Is the back of the hard drive facing out towards the motherboard? Or, in towards the case? You need to have it where you can get to the back so you can plug in the Sata power and data cables.

I'm really really tired. It's 2:30am here, I have to go to bed. It's hard to keep my eyes open at this point LOL.

Once you get it all plugged in, and you are sure... press the power button. Remember that the power supply probably has a switch on the back of it, so be sure its turned on. If everything powers on fine, you can restart the computer by pressing the reset button or just switch the the switch on the back of the power supply. When it starts to turn on again, repeatedly press the delete key to get to the BIOS. Follow the instructions I gave in an earlier post if you get to that point. Here is a quote from it...

Hi there,

I bet you are excited to get your parts in. I thought I would let you know a few things that may come in handy when you build your computer.
Always use standoffs between the motherboard and computer case. CLICK HERE to see what they look like. Your case will come with them. These ARE ONLY NEEDED WHERE YOU SCREW THE MOTHERBOARD TO THE CASE, NO WHERE ELSE.
Be sure to consult your motherboards manual on which RAM slots to use for the two sticks of RAM, and how to Enter The BIOS. <--should be the DELETE KEY
Your Motherboard has two PCI-E slots, you want to use the one closest to the CPU when only using 1 video card
Remember to plug the power connectors into the video card before first booting the computer
You want to change the AHCI Mode in the BIOS to SATA mode if it isn't already configured to do so. Please note: If for any reason you plan to install Windows XP, you must use IDE mode as XP does not have the supported drivers for SATA mode. If you only plan to have Windows 7, then don't worry about, just use SATA Mode.
In the BIOS, configure your boot priority to CD ROM first, then Hard Drive second. This is needed in order to boot from your Windows 7 Install Disk.
See how to install Windows 7 HERE
After the install, you may need to install drivers. Go to Start(windows logo), Right Click My Computer, Select Properties, in the window that opens, Click Device Manager in the top left hand corner. If there are any Red X's or Yellow Exclamation Points, you need to install drivers for particular item. The most common are, Ethernet, Video, and Audio.
Since you are a Gamer, I recommended downloading and installing your video cards latest driver from ATI's website to ensure the best possible performance, usually the drivers that come on the CD are outdated. Here is your driver for Windows 7 64bit... CLICK HERE
Install an Anti-Virus. Here are the recommended Free Anti-Viruses. I use Avira.

After all the drivers are installed and you protect your computer with an Anti-Virus, you can start enjoying your computer. There may be Windows Updates very frequently for a while until everything is finally up to date, they will settle down. Let me know when you get your stuff and if you have any questions. Good Luck!

Good night, I'll check up on you tomorrow. Sorry I couldn't stay longer.

Edited by Ferrari, 04 February 2010 - 02:51 AM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Okay, I switched out the cable for the video card...
The motherboard has the main cables from the power supply, the fans are each hooked up,
the HD audio, USB, 1394, power switch, reset switch, H.D.D LED, video card have all been hooked up...

I plugged one http://www.askkia.co...s/sata15pin.jpg into each the hard drive and the DVD writer...
now, what about that http://www.sierra-ca...nal-Cable-1.jpg cable?
I have a slot in each the hard drive and the DVD writer...
It's all plugged in except for those two cables, which only have one slot on the motherboard... *checks the manual, and finds the answer*

I'm really sorry for keeping you up so late, and I appreaciate -all- your help!!!
Thank you so much, and I'm going to try this and let you know how it works. ^^

Again, I'm sorry if I misread or asked things you've already answered...

Goodnight and sweet dreams, and thank you again.

Edited by Erolunai, 04 February 2010 - 02:54 AM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Current System Temperature: 30C
Current CPU Tempurature: 41 C

I am happy. ^///^

It boots up! I'm going to try installing Windows 7, and try to post links later today ^.^

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Current System Temperature: 30C
Current CPU Tempurature: 41 C

Awesome! Let me know how installing Windows 7 goes. I gave you link for that (somewhere haha)

Remember, I want to see pictures when you are all done. :)