Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Use the DNS servers of your ISP

• Please log in to reply

Twa

Twa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I read that to be more secure using my wired router I should do the following: Use the DNS servers of your ISP rather than pointing your DNS to the router. I don't understand how to do this. My computer OS is Leopard and the router is Linksys Cable/DSL BEFSR41.
Can you help? Thanks

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Unless someone else has configured DNS servers, the BEFSR41 will use those of your ISP by default. You can check it by typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser. Leave the username blank and type admin as the password.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
They say use the DNS servers of your isp as it is setup by default and is not a very widely known topic.
Basically it is fine using your dns servers of your ISP but there are also other options such as changing to another DNS server such as OpenDNS or using it as a back up. Using DNS servers other than your ISP's is nothing to worry about and can sometime increase web browsing speeds and security and implant even more features for example..

(TAKE A LOOK --->> http://www.opendns.com/start/)

Hope this helps

Spud

EDIT: i say there is nothing to worry about using DNS servers other than your ISP meaning a well known and trusted company! Warning - Some virus and malware can mess with your dns settings

Edited by ==SpuD==, 06 January 2010 - 10:16 AM.