Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop power supply

• Please log in to reply

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have an older Dell laptop that doesn't recognize that it's attached to the electrical power supply.
It was running but then said that the battery was almost dead and I needed to connect it to electricity. (which it already was) Now the battery is dead and won't recharge because it doesn't know it's connected to the wall. :)
I have been told it needs a new motherboard, is that right?

Edited by Miss Kris, 03 January 2010 - 11:18 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be the ac power adapter or it could be the motherboard.
I would try getting the ac power adapter tested first to see if it is running the correct watts and amps.
That would be worth the replacement cost. A motherboard is another story as a new replacement motherboard is almost as much if not more then just buying a new laptop. You could search online and maybe find a used one somewhere but you would need to take it to a shop that does laptop repair and have them replace it.
Chekc into this and see if the cost is worth the replacement of the motherboard or if buying anew laptop is more cost effective. In either scenario I would suggest not getting rid of the hard drive in the system as you can get to the data files wnd save them even with a new laptop or a desktop system. You would need to purchase a external enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive to do this.

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
How would I test the power supply? It doesnt fit any other computer.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

How would I test the power supply?

First, you need a DMM, like the one shown here:
http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103176

The power supply will have an output rating printed on it. You will usually see three numbers: current, voltage (V), and power (W). Measuring the DC output voltage is quickest way to go. Testing the output current is a little more involved.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you do not know how to do this then please take it to a shop and have them check it out.
I don't know if you have anything like a Batteries Plus or a shop that does laptops but that is what I suggest.
If you are not familiar with how to use this equipment then leave it to someone who does.

Miss Kris

Miss Kris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for the information and the advice. I appreciate both. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and please let us know what you find out in the end. It may help someone else in the future.