Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM stopped working / dissapeared?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
My CD ROM doesnt seem to be working. I put a disc in & a green light on the CD tray comes on briefly & it sounds like the disc might be spinning inside but I wait & wait & nothing ever happens & it continuously spins for however long I leave the disk in. Then when I click on My Computer I dont see the disc drive. I used to see the disc drive.When I go to my device manager I only see 1 thing under Disk Drives & from what I remember there used to be 2 things under Disk Drives. However I dont know what brand my CD ROM drive is.I just know I used to be able to burn CDs & create discs. And I dont have the installation disk for this CD ROM either.

Im working with XP Pro SP3 & my computer is a old Dell Latitude c610.

OK,when I go to System Information this is what I get when I click on Components then CD-ROM & theres nothing listed.
Posted Image
And heres a screen shot of the device manager.
Posted Image

What do I do?
Please & thank u!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Saraveza408.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.
From the pics you attached I would say your cd\dvd drive has failed. Under normal situations the drive would still appear in Device Manager even if it didn't read a disk. There are a couple of steps you can try but I don't know if they will help but worth a try. Skip any that like the Device Manager steps.

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
The thing is I cant find the driver. I looked everywhere. But I ran PCPitStop's tests & I found out that my CD-ROM is a Philips CDRW/DVD CDD5263.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Optical drives do not need a driver to work in the OS now.
As I said the option to uninstall the drive in Device Manager you can't do because it is not there to begin with. Try the other options and see if one of them will help.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
wow! I was nervous about doing the 2nd option but I trusted in your words that when I rebooted they would reinstall themselves.And guess what?!? It worked!!

Thanks again Geeks to Go! You are truly my tech heros!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. I am very happy for you and that your system is back up and running correctly now. I take it now your drive is working and everything is fine?