Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSOfc. PUBLISH 2002 I'm PUB.stupid, 1st prob. SAVE2pc 260 pgs

• Please log in to reply

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Last week installed new MSOfc. software, thought I was having problems, then learned I wasn't using FRONTPAGE, using PUBLISHER...Yes I'm blonde :) I'm ordering frontpage, but for now I got what I got :)

I use GO DADDY, and have another site that was created in FrontPage when I had it working on my pc.

Things I use to know how to do, I now find myself feeling like an idiot. Each time I save my site, when I go back later, it's a brand new search. My pc burner is giving me issues as well, so I can't throw it on a cd, and save it for later. I do use a stick, but with GoDaddy, everything you have to send can only be received as INDEX. With 2 different sites built on the same pc, it can get messy.

Obviously your work has to be saved to the pc, cd, or something... Each time I save things so I think I can find them easily again, fat chance... I go back to where I left it, and find a FILE & a page, then open it up to find all my 260 pages ea. & seperate, or one index page. It's always a surprise.

After calling GoDaddy, I went to look at my website, and just the index page, the other 250 pages, some place else in the air.

I just want my old software to work, but no chance of that, I guess... Error 1305 & MOS.DLL pop up, and won't let me copy it.

Thank you,
Penny

Working on informative website with jobs available that offer at home employment, no fee crap.

Edited by penelopepony, 03 January 2010 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
FrontPage is the world's WORSE web editor. WordPad, Word, Publisher and even the infamous FrontPage should NEVER be used for web pages. They guarantee that your web pages will NOT be cross-browser compatible because of all the Microsoft Schema code it adds. Only IE and Maxthon understand this code.

You should have ONE projects folder for each project. It should contain all the folders and files that mirror EXACTLY the online directory structure. Use of relative paths is preferred to eliminate the repeated http calls. Saving a backup of project folder should be done to an external hard drive and kept current. Saving to a CD is not needed unless you just want to save a copy that way. Maybe a Read/Write one. You save problem may be with the method you are using to save. I don't use and never have/will use FrontPage, but maybe there is some option/prefernce setting(s) that needs looking at.

I recommend use of an external FTP program as it makes downloading/uploading so much easier when the program can stay open in both the local and remote directories. FileZilla has a file comparison tool and many other goodies. It's even FREE!

FileZilla FTP Tutorial - How to Upload Your Site with FileZilla

In this tutorial you learn how to upload your website using FileZilla, the popular free FTP application. FileZilla is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Read the full article here:

http://www.elated.co...zilla-tutorial/

Homepage of FileZilla: http://filezilla-project.org/

Godaddy's Hosting Account FTP Information: https://www.godaddy....hop/ftpinfo.asp

What program aru you using when "Error 1305 & MOS.DLL pop up" occurs?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Ron- I thought you were gone?

Penny- download and install Filezilla and then use the FTP info from Go Daddy to download everything on your sites. Minor editing can be done in Word until your software situation gets straightened out. When you save your sites in clearly marked folders, as Ron suggested, then you can edit each page individually and upload it using the FTP client (bypassing the godaddy way). Just make sure you keep a clean copy of everything. BTW, you can make sites in Publisher, too. There are a ton of templates available with it.
Holler if you have more questions.
Johanna

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you so very much. The only reason I was using FrontPage is because other than actually writing HTML, which is so timely, it's all I've used over the last few years since I actually created a site.

I'm wanting to get this site up and running, and then start figuring out the ad thing. Don't expect to get rich, but concidering that I'm on a casted ankle, and when I do go to a job, $8hr isn't an amount that's impossible to maybe make someday and stay home. I was driving 100 miles round trip, and that was a local job.

Thanks
Penny

Site I intend to create will be: http://www.jobspeoplewant.com

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
DO NOT USE FRONTPAGE, PUBLISHER or ANY Microsoft product to make web pages!!! I can't emphasize that enough! At least, not until you strip out EVERY vestige of Microsoft Schema code. FrontPage requires servers to maintain its FP extensions. Why use something that guarantees your pages will NOT be cross-browser compatible?

I suggest you also use the w3c.org's validators...a lot!

CSS Validator
HTML Validator Be sure to set options for "Verbose Output."
Online HTML Tidy

Good luck.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you so very much for all the help.

Penny

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome, but doubt if I helped very much unless I convinced you NOT to use FrontPage. :)