Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

re-installing my drivers

• Please log in to reply

liger636

liger636

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys, my computer is filled with viruses and [bleep] and i think the only way for me to get rid of them is to re format my computer. I can do everything fine up to the point where i have to reinstall my drivers.

The problem is, I dont know what i have to install and i dont have any cds with the setups.

Can someone please be kind enough to guide me through >.<

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

liger636

liger636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi rshaffer61. I actually just want to re-format as start fresh as my computer has alot of junk on it too.

If you could tell me how to install my drivers/find out which ones i have to install that would be great.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Laptop or Desktop?
Custom built or name brand?
Make and model if name brand
Do you have a Genuine Microsoft XP Installation disk or a Recovery Disk?
Do you have a legal Reg key for your system?
Depending on the answers to the above will determine which instructions I give you to partition, format and reinstall fresh your XP and drivers.

liger636

liger636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Desktop
No brand name. I didnt build it but the shop which I bought it from(not a big company) probably did, if that's what you meant
No recovery disk and i think what i have is a cracked windows installation disk but not 100% sure. I think the reg key is real. The new XP cds have the key built in dont they? And i downloaded the newer version of the installation disk from a site.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

And i downloaded the newer version of the installation disk from a site.

What installation cd are you talking about? If custom built then it would most likely have a OEM or Retail version of XP.
Where did the Reg key come from then and NO the keys are not built into the installations cd's.

liger636

liger636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
O right. Then i must have some hacked version of the XP installation cd which doesnt require a cd key. But, I'm only guessing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then from what you are saying it is not a Genuine Microsoft Xp cd with the hologram on it?

liger636

liger636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
nope. downloaded from a site online and then burned onto a cd

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then that is the problem. You have a illegal copy and it won't work correctly. You will need to purchase a Microsoft Genuine cd before we can continue.
I cannot help any longer with this topic pursuant to the Terms Of Use stated below.

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

liger636

liger636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
=\ alright then. I didnt know lol anyway thanks and sorry for wasting your time

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No waste of time. I would suggest purchasing a Xp and that way we could actually do a repair installation on the system.