Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen on Vista - no start menu

• Please log in to reply

Doris1957

Doris1957

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have a Dell computer (Vista) 4month, got a new lap top Window 7 and a new HP Window 7, on 12/23 I was trying to connect the new lap top to my wireless, but needed help, I had to call Belkin for the wireless router, I was told to change some security settings and after that the new lap top connected to my HOME network. My Vista, at that time was my mane desktop, I logged off and left the house for sev. hours, when I came back and tryed to log back on my personal log on icon came up, I entered my password, and the screen changed as if it where processing, but then the screen went completely black - no start menu nothing all I got is my mouse curser. I had to shut it down at the console, I hooked up my also new HP Window 7 as my main desk top and it works, I tryed to hook up my Vista as wireless in a diff. room, but still nothing. I can turn on with safe mode and get a limited start menu, but I'm not that much of a wizzard that I know what to do with that, I checked in my network connections and it is empty, so the whole safe mode doesn' help me any. I've got microsoft essentials and when I check the history it told me that a trojan was deleted from the 23rd, so I'm not sure if I got a virus while I was working with the Belkin Support people, because I had no problems before. The security setting they had me change was on the wireless mode
and I had to change it to 11g only. My question, is could the change in the setting be the problem for Vista not working, because I'm afraid if I call there again and they make me change it I might loose the Window 7. or is there something else I need to do? I also have 2 XP computers which I used before while I was using the Vista and I still have some documents on there I need to be able to access. So all my settings need to be compatible for xp,vista and window 7. The new HP is going to stay my main desk top, but the Vista is ment for my daughters room as wireless desk top. I sure hope you can help me because I rather eat glass than to call the Belkin supp. people back, I got such a hard time understanding them and they treat me like an idiot, not giving any consideration that as a customer more than likely you are clueless about the program they are trying to guide you thru and to be a little patient, sorry but I had to vent, please HELP

Advertisements