Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Burner no longer burns CDs.

• Please log in to reply

Clyde Machine

Clyde Machine

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello again to the GeeksToGo community - I thank you all for your services as I'm still cleaning up my computer's virus/trojan/rootkit problems right now. :) I have a question about my CD/DVD reading/writing drive.

TSST Corp CD/DVDw TS-L632D ATA Device is what Device Manager calls my drive.

Now, I am running Vista Home right now. This computer had XP when I bought it, then I clean-installed Vista Basic, then upgraded to Vista Home thereafter. On each OS, I was able to read and to write CDs and DVDs. I found some while ago that I couldn't burn CDs anymore, and that some DVDs could not be read on the computer. I found out several days ago that the reason my DVDs weren't being read was because the lens was dirty - a lens-cleaning disk I found around the house took care of it. Now, I tried burning CDs (with WMP 11, by the way) and it still didn't work - the program would go through the motions of processing each track and writing them to the CD, then finalizing and ejecting the disk, but the disk would have nothing written on it, just as it was before the burning started.

I downloaded CDBurner XP and for some odd reason, I was able to burn my audio CDs just fine!....for one night. Shortly thereafter, I ran into the same problem which is what I have now - it goes through the motions, but the CD comes out completely blank.

Thanks to the help I've gotten at this forum, I've confirmed the existence of and have been slowly removing various rootkits and trojans on my computer, and would like to know if that would be the cause of my problems, or if there's something more to why my computer might not let my programs put data on my CDs? Any help at all is appreciated - I want to release a personal EP CD for myself since I'm a musician, and would like to be able to produce physical disk copies of it for people. :)

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you tried updating the firmware on your drive?

Clyde Machine

Clyde Machine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
If you mean driver updates, yes. I do not know how to check the firmware of my drive otherwise.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,I read somewhere a while back that the dvd writers have different lenses for both dvds and cds(don't know if this is correct though)If this is true it means you may have only cleaned the DVD lens.However,I would get this confirmed by someone more tech savvy than me before trying to clean the cd lens.If you want to Flash the firmware you need the firmare and a seperate program to open the firmware file and flash it to your drive.I have a TSST Corp myself and have flashed it using Samsung Firmware.Here is a link to firmware > http://www.firmwareh...632D/files.html ...But please ask someone who knows more than me before Flashing as Flashing Firmware can completely ruin your drive!

Edited by mrpooh3, 13 January 2010 - 12:28 PM.

Clyde Machine

Clyde Machine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
What do you mean by "Flashing"? You've got me completely lost, but other than that I understood what you said.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,Basically it just means erasing and writing new firmware to the device > http://www.topbits.c...g-firmware.html

Clyde Machine

Clyde Machine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I believe I've gotten it figured out - some programs I have will burn CDs at one time, others will not. At least, that's what it looks like. I was using CDBurner XP, then I switched over to WMP. The former didn't work at all, the latter did just fine.

Edited by Clyde Machine, 14 January 2010 - 12:49 PM.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
I am glad to hear you got it figured out ClydeMachine :) Atleast now you know it is not hardware failure(saves spending some £££ on a new DVD/CD writer) :) For me personally I use WMP like yourself to burn music and I use ConvertXtoDVD to convert AVI Files to DVD and burn them using it's built-in burning feature.Another good software I use for burning ISO image files is ImageBurn which is Freeware.It is worth trying lots of different burning programs (especially the free ones) until you find software that you like.

Clyde Machine

Clyde Machine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks, I'll keep those in mind if I ever need something burned to DVD or for burning ISOs to discs.